E: Engine Cam Suppliers

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What is the best method for sizing the oilite bushings after you press the pinion on? I’m assuming a super sharp boring bar... other options? Brand new reamer? I have some lapping compound that sounds like it would be ok, but not convinced that it could all be removed afterwards. Broaching?
Following extracted from OVR #11.

Cutting tools must be sharp. For this reason, carbide inserts are highly recommended since they hold a cutting edge much longer. This preserves the open-pore structure from which oil can flow freely. A dull tool will smear the pores, greatly reducing the self-lubricating qualities of the material.

Turning: Cutting Feed Rate: 0.002-0.006 IPM Speed: Oilite® Bronze 375-500 SFM Speed: Super-Oilite® 250-500 SFM

Roller Burnishing is an excellent choice to modify an ID slightly. Ball sizing can also be used on the ID effectively for final sizing.

Honing and grinding are never recommended on Oilite® bearing materials. Using these methods on any surface which will become the bearing surface will introduce grinding media and could easily smear the bronze pores sealing the micro-porosity.

After extensive machining, bearings should be re-impregnated with appropriate / specified oils. Vacuumed impregnation is recommended. If bearings were not lubricated prior to machining and if cutting fluids were used, that medium must be removed prior to any impregnation of the oil selected for the application. Your authorized Oilite distributor can provide oils for reimpregnation after machining

More information at www.oilite.com

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
If you use small amounts, try this lapping paste which is non-imbedding
in brass. Price is right too.
oilite is full of micro pores and and material you introduce will get embedded in those pores firstly blocking them then subsequently causing rapid wear

Cyborg

VOC Member
I figured I’d ask Oilite and they just received an email back....referring me to the link about machining practices. It appears they have updated “carbide inserts to PDC.

Kyocera's diamond material is a synthetic material sintered under high temperature and high pressure. PCD(polycrystalline diamond) is ideal for non-ferrous metals, non-metal turning, milling and other types of cutting.

I’m assuming that skimming .0005” or whatever off the bushing doesn’t qualify as major machining, so no re-impregnating would be required.

Anyone here versed on broaching, burnishing, or ball sizing? Seem to me I read something somewhere written by (I think) John Healey about connecting rod small ends being done that way. I think the term broaching was used, but wouldn’t bet my life on it.

Last edited:

litnman

VOC Member
The Oilite catalog has information on installing and sizing oilite bushings.

Attachments

• Oilite Catalog.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Cyborg

VOC Member
Looks like ball sizing would be an inexpensive way to go. Measure the shaft, figure out what clearance you want and order up a ball for a few dollars. Assuming the bore in the cam and the bushing are running relatively true, it seems like an interesting way to go about it. Same goes for rod bushings.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you use small amounts, try this lapping paste which is non-imbedding
in brass. Price is right too.
So that's what was in the sludge trap of my 52 Trophy!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Does anyone else fill the central hollow of the long camshaft with Oilite bearing? The reason I do this is that generally the camshaft spindle for the long camshaft is worn, quite badly sometimes, at the cam end while there is little if any wear at the pinion end. It just seems to my simple mind that spreading the load over the whole spindle should cut down on the wear.