E: Engine Cam Suppliers

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So it has probably been thrashed a hundred times but if a guy wanted and new good cam and followers (Mk2 for a Comet) where would he go here in N America. Megacycle? from whom? What's the experience with Maughn ones?

thanks
Robert

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Britt parts.
Thats where EU boiis gets them.

Megacycle that is.
Check the play at the pinion side

And one could drill a hole in the base circle for oil on the followers.

Cheers

davidd

VOC Member
I like Megacycle. The quality is very high. Ask for the Oilite bushings, otherwise they will install phosphor bronze. They make Mk1 and Mk2.

Megacycle will reface and harden followers (or they use to), but new followers are much cheaper. I get them from Coventry. They are quite good. I try to test them for hardness and they run about 60 which is what I am looking for.

The engine I built for David Tompkin's racer is running this setup currently. Jim and Barbara own the company. Barbara answers the phone unless daughter Lisa does.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
And one could drill a hole in the base circle for oil on the followers.
Cheers

Better than no hole at all.
Do you run your cams with the oil hole in the base circle?
And to drill the hole? EDM?
7735B5E9-D252-4DD4-AD8B-C8888FA77F5A.jpeg
EEF73A6C-4274-4764-BCD0-4D1FCA946740.jpeg

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Yep on the base circle.
Not where MC does have the holes.
We just lack the pressure. To press it when the follower hits the cam.

EMC or with diamond hollow drill 2 mm.

I also timed the spindle in the casing.
As again we do not have enough oil.

Cheers

Vinnie

greg brillus

VOC Member
The timing of the hole in the cam lobe verses the hole in the spindle is an example of some of the design failures within the timing chest. I put the cams in the lathe and machine an internal radial groove that aligns the hole in the spindle with the hole in the cam lobe, and sometimes this groove is wider to allow this. Carrying out this simple mod will allow oil to flow continuously no matter the position of the cam and hopefully keep the survival rate of the lobe and follower a bit better.