cam replacement

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Once Gary has done your cams you won't need to ever separate shaft and pinion !!
The problem with getting someone on the other side of the universe to do a job is that it takes 4 weeks to get there, 4 weeks back, hope it doesn't get lost, stolen
delivered to the wrong place at either end, once it has returned I have forgotten what it is, If not happy with the result (always possible) then back on the merry-go-round, the Oz govt will try and charge me GST, import duty, sales tax, Carbon Tax, stamp duty, off duty, on duty, community service, postage will require the sale of my first born (the one I don't like) :)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Ernie? Ernie? Ah!!
I know you. You're the one seeking young blood. Are you aka "Ernie the Vampire of London", habituee of Lee Ho Fook, and Trader Vic's? I think we should be told.

"Little old lady got mutilated late last night" must be one of the best lines ever written in a song.

David: Just "TDC" is OK, because it doesn't become compression or exhaust until the small idler is secured. Although a friend had preserved his ignition timing while reshimming the timing wheels and then timing the valves, and your addition of "exhaust" would have reminded him that the points must be at the right lump on the mag cam ring if it is to start...

Last edited by a moderator:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
1) See MPH 648 for an article by Neville Higgins on moving cams within camwheels. Not advised for those of a sensitive disposition. Both shaft and pin will expand at the same rate, so don't heat.
2) Who knows? Suck it and see... but DO try to get sight of MPH 648, January 2003.
3) Silver steel ones should be hardened already, stainless ones work-harden, so in both cases the answer is no.

Older readers may skip this. If I were you, I would set the timing to equal lift at 4 deg before TDC. Even if I weren't you, I would certainly check that that's what I had if I'd timed them by any other method. And if I didn't have EL at 4BTDC, I'd go and make a cup of tea, and think about why not. While perusing MPH 648, p. 12, et seq.

Thanks Tom, can you tell me how to get MPH 648 or is there somewhere online that it can be accessed?