ET: Engine (Twin) Cam Identification?

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have on the bench a front and rear camshaft that I'm told are Mk3's. There are stamps on the shafts as shown in the first two photographs below that appear to be 3F (Front?) on one and what may be 3D on the other but more likely a fade 3R. (Rear?) Both front and rear cams have the symbol stamped in them as shown in the third photograph. Could someone confirm that these are Mk3 cams from these markings?
I took the timing case cover off yesterday with a view to perhaps trying these cams. What I found was both cam spindles were seriously loose in the case and the camshafts were moving about radially. That would explain the increasing noise level.:eek:
cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
The 'lightning strike' mark is VOC Spares.
A long time ago (well before my time) there was a thought to use logo stamps to identify parts but, like the Vincent Co putting part nos on each part, was dropped after a while.
The punches are still at the Company.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The 'lightning strike' mark is VOC Spares.
A long time ago (well before my time) there was a thought to use logo stamps to identify parts but, like the Vincent Co putting part nos on each part, was dropped after a while.
The punches are still at the Company.
Thank you for that Ian.

My original query is, do these "3" marks identify them as Mark 3 cams. I would think that would be so but am looking for confirmation. There have been 154 views but only Ian has replied so far.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The way I read it, plain, no marks=mk1,stamped 2=mk2, stamped 3 = mk3. The profile is not similar to the n o s mk2's in my goodie box. As mk1+mk3 have similar lift and time-up at four degrees , provided the working surfaces are good I'd be inclined to stick em in,

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The way I read it, plain, no marks=mk1,stamped 2=mk2, stamped 3 = mk3. The profile is not similar to the n o s mk2's in my goodie box. As mk1+mk3 have similar lift and time-up at four degrees , provided the working surfaces are good I'd be inclined to stick em in,
Thank you Roy. That is what I'm hoping to do but first I have to sort out the loose cam spindles. Never a dull moment. ;)