Cam Donald Interview July 2021

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Luis Gallur's Flash with Greg Brillus in the background.

Hit the arrow at the bottom right to get to the video.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
I remember the interview, we all stayed out of the picture.......You only see me a couple of times grabbing my water bottle........the bike weighs in at 124.5 kg's with oils and some fuel in the tank. Interesting comments about the Anti-dive....... If only they new about the real story on that issue.......and the changes made to fix it. We haven't done anything more to the bike as the ongoing lock downs around the country are stopping interstate travel.........perhaps when things settle down we might be able to make some progress with it all. Thanks for posting the link David.........Cheers.

davidd

VOC Member
Greg,

It was a great effort and a great result!

A few years ago when the bike first ran, Luis told me that Cam might contact me for some of the Vincent history for the magazine article, but I suspect he ran out of time. He certainly liked the way the Girdraulic handled with the new steering stem.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
The carby is a Mikuni at least 40 mm or bigger.........It was actually way too rich, the plugs running very black in color after a run on the track.......... I did see a copy of the latest dyno sheet from that and the Egli that was there as well....... I think the Flash was putting out around 52 HP, and the Egli is about 57 Hp........remember these engines have a larger bore and short stroke, so they rev quite high........8500 plus....... I had my Norvin on the dyno a coupe of weeks back and it put out just under 50 hp, that was at 6800 rpm, and about 47 ft lb's of torque at 4250 rpm........The power curve climbing as the revs increased right up to 7000 plus........I did not want to rev the engine beyond that so we kept the revs slightly lower. The engine in the Egli has had some improvements made to it, squish band and so on........The info I have is a bit vague, but I'm hoping to go through these engines at some point and see just what they are......... I know they run a one piece crank, high pressure oil pump, reasonably big lift cam, and big inlet valves.........They run Ignitec crank triggered ignition very similar to mine but an older version.........One point that was a bit worrying was the noises coming from the timing chest........I'd like to see what's going on in there....... Yes the handling was quite good........It seems to be running Thornton coil overs front and rear........These are good, but I feel i can do better........adjustable ones on rebound would be a great help........The front end sits topped out at rest, this is not really a big deal but a bit more travel would fix that.........Running a longer coilover on the rear will jack the rear up and make it turn into corners just that bit quicker.......It is the one thing I miss, the Norvin does not turn in near as good as the twin racer did.