Cam box

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone need one of these? I would be happy to swap for a two pipe set up. I have this as a spare but it does not match any of the 3 crankcases that I have from 36/37. I believe this would be from a 35 engine???

Attachments

• IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 21

delboy

VOC Member
Does anyone need one of these? I would be happy to swap for a two pipe set up. I have this as a spare but it does not match any of the 3 crankcases that I have from 36/37. I believe this would be from a 35 engine???
For interest, I have worked on a Nov' '36 motor which has it's matching single oil feed cambox. [and is specified in the engine spec' sheet]
Cheers,
Delboy.

delboy

VOC Member
For interest, I have worked on a Nov' '36 motor which has it's matching single oil feed cambox. [and is specified in the engine spec' sheet]
Cheers,
Delboy.
Oooh, now I look closer, it looks like someone has welded around the pushrod tube sockets and modded the pushrod tubes. Also added an oil feed above the camfollowers. I can see a weld repair inside the cambox to a camfollower spindle thread.
The casting is clearly an early "Ribbed" E20
Delboy.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Cheers,
Delboy.
Hmm interesting, I will look into the build date, thanks Delboy. Cushty.

Dinny

VOC Member
That’s a single oil feed without flanges for the pushrod tubes. My engine is C71 which is possibly the first with a flanged cam box. C73 was the first bike with it noted on the build sheet but C71 is out of sequence with other mods and so is maybe the first as it has a few other mods from the factory and was built as a test unit.

Mark

delboy

VOC Member
If you look at period photos, you see early type pushrod "slip in tube" bosses are taller than the ones in Andy B's pic's.
But yes, Andy's may be an experiment by the works, but much more likely to have been repaired and fiddled with in the past 80-odd years I think.
Cheers,
Delboy.