Calling Gary Laurence

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After the complete mess the feature in Classic Bike was, if you are reading this Gary I'd be glad if you could send some nice pictures of your stunning Norvin just to help me while I work on my own long term Norvin project.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Eric

F

Flatout

Mess?

After the complete mess the feature in Classic Bike was, if you are reading this Gary I'd be glad if you could send some nice pictures of your stunning Norvin just to help me while I work on my own long term Norvin project.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Eric

I thought it was fine. Why did you think it was a mess? Were you looking for more pictures?

ericg

VOC Member
Mess

Because all the pics are so dark, showing offside only and at angles that prevent seing the all important details. And a full page has been wasted with a focus on one of the hubs (you have to look hard to see it's the rear one). Such a fine machine would deserve nice shots of both sides with focus on engine plates, footrests, head steadies, etc to study.
But in the end this kind of features isn't surprising from CB isn't it?
Eric

Norvin1000

Forum User
VOC Member
Garry's Norvin

I got in touch again with Garry, having spoken briefly on the phone to him some years ago at the time he was looking for an engine, and I was plotting my own Norvin.

Garry also expresses his disappointment at the small number of photos in the February "Classic Bike", considering that there were many photos taken on the shoot, yet little of technical detail to do justice to the original engineering involved in crafting this wonderful home-brew. I am in discussion about more photos with "Classic Bike" and with Garry himself, who is happy to share his story and at a suitable stage write and publish his own article for the benefit of the VOC. Garry is a North Kent section member.

Anyway, here's Garry's reply to my recent approach following the CB article's publication:

QUOTE:
I am in the VOC North Kent section as I have a mint Rapide as well. The Norvin appeared in the club mag about two issues ago and is on other web sites. I have a full set of build photos about 150 in all of the development, dry build and final assembly. The contact at Classic Bike is the features editor Jim Reynolds, but I do not know whether he will release any photos. They spent most of the day photgraphing and riding the bike so they must have them.

I must say that I was very disappointed with the feature in Classic Bike especially the photos as they showed none of the detailing which makes this machine so very different from any other Norvin I have seen. I have, along with many others expressed my disappointment to Classic Bike but what's done is done.

I will at some stage (it's too early now), write a full article on the build with photos myself, similar to the article I wrote for Classic Bike Guide on the Triton I built.

I may show the bike at the Retro Race Show in Coventry in March; the Ace Cafe has a concours cafe-racer competition, and Mark Wimslow (who owns the Ace), has asked me to show it. I am not really into competitions anymore I had my fill with Jaguar Concours, but if they are looking for the best cafe-racer (60s style British Bike) in Britain, I think it ought to be there.

I am willing to assist in yours or any of the lads building Norvins in any way I can.

The tanks were built locally, and this is the third set I have had built by the same fellow who builds them for Mossey, Unity Equipe etc. The petrol tank is Manx 4 gallon tank which makes it lower and gives the whole bike a much more ground hugging appearance. The oil tank is an elephants foot manx tank with a large scoop out for the rear carburettor. It's fitted with the engine installed from the rear with mud guard and swinging arm removed. I turned the frame spreader up 45 degrees utilising the old rear engine mounting brackets to mount an aluminium oil tank platform (home made of course).

The rear mudguard bracket was then repostioned and bronze welded. The bottom of the oil tank has a recessed bolt for rubber mounting to platform. There is no battery; lights are run via Alton alternator and Boyer Bransden power box mounted in the seat hump with wiring concealed under seat cover.

I note that you have milled a slot in the rear mounting lug. I did consider this route for a long time but in the end I milled it off. The rationale is that the engine was built for this project and being new I did not nave any qualms about it. I think it makes for a much neater installation and gives more room to position the engine.

Please feel free to let other builders have my home email address which is manxnortonman@yahoo.co.uk and I will try and help where I can.

I am still looking for a twin engine to start another Norvin project with different cosmetics. Appreciate any info albeit I am a realistic about the prospects.

As you can see it would need a long article for the detail to be truly appreciated
UNQUOTE

Phil Blakeney
Ashton under Lyne
UK

ericg

VOC Member
Garry's Norvin

Thanks for your reply Phil, it makes me feel that there is no hope with CB! I'll watch for Gary's article in MPH and, by the way, how is your own Norvin going?
Eric

Norvin1000

Forum User
VOC Member
CD-ROM of Garry's bike build

I now have the CD-ROM from Garry with all the high resolution photos of his excellent build. I really like the way the photos show the "dry build" featuring the brazing on of the various lugs for sidestand, timed breather etc, done prior to the powder coating. Cycle parts (Garry's make) are beautiful. Get in touch for a copy; Garry;s happy to share this. Phil.

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Spirit of the sixties 1000cc Norvin

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Eric

Eric,
Send me your e mail address and I wll send some pictures, or log into my web. norvin-spiritofthe60s.com FOR A FULL SLIDE SHOW.
Garry
manxnortonman@yahoo.co