Caliper help

watchhislegs

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, I'm a non-Vincent owner (I'm a biker though!) and have acquired a brake caliper that I need some help identifying.

It looks as though it has a Vincent marking on it but I can't find what machine it might be from?

I hope it might be some use to somebody.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_004121326.jpg
    IMG_20200307_004121326.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200307_004124037.jpg
    IMG_20200307_004124037.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200307_004135822.jpg
    IMG_20200307_004135822.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200307_004139209.jpg
    IMG_20200307_004139209.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 67

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vincent-HRD bikes never had disc brakes as standard however some owners have updated.
Looks like you've got the generic Japanese caliper from around 1973 on.
Sorry, no idea on the master cylinder but both seem set up for a rear brake.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Vincents were made in the UK and did not use any Argentinian bits. From a Zanella... who knows. Why someone would put an HRD decal on that is a bit of a mystery. Hope you weren’t planning to retire on the proceeds.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Some Vincent machines in Argentina were subject to some "interesting" modifications mostly due to lack of spare parts. Some were OK, some were questionable.
It looks like someone went to quite a lot of trouble to make a Vincent/HRD styled cover plate for an old proprietary calliper. The master cylinder has Industria Argentina cast in. Massey Ferguson had a factory in Argentina so it is probably from a Massey Ferguson tractor.
Interesting, maybe, useable very unlikely, probably dangerous. Some people will collect anything but as Albervin suggested it looks like a good candidate for the bin.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I don't think it's a plate, just the remains of a transfer.
There are some strange people who seem to remove anything non-standard Roy

watchhislegs

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. I remanufacture mainly Japanese calipers as a hobby and I picked it up for £5 with no idea what brand or model it might be off. It took me ages to find out what the decal said and I was surprised it might be Vincent related as they are all drum brakes I thought. I know very little about Vincent's other than the Richard Thompson song!

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be just some generic Japanese caliper; it's a monoblock caliper with what looks like a screw in insert to cover the hole used to machine the caliper recess.

There is also a marking of 'DOPPLER' stamped on the underneath of the caliper which sadly has thrown up nothing in my Google search.

It's got me stumped this one. I love a challenge though.

Cheers again for all your input