Cables nipples DIY

davidjoyner

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought some new throttle and choke cables. Cut them to length and soldered the nipples with ordinary cored electronic solder. On the way back from Battlesbridge stopped to empty that quick pint in the bushes and on my return, started the bike, went on to 1 cylinder! found that the nipple on the front carb choke cable had come off. Probably bad soldering but could it be solder too soft and that the rest are going to fail one by one? :confused:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Control cables

Hi Dave,
There is no inherent problem in using standard tin/lead solder. You need to make sure that both parts are clean from oils/grease then use a good flux to ensure a good joint (I use a plumbers flux for copper pipes).

If the cable is used in a heavy application (Clutch, valve lifter, brakes, etc) then I would splay the ends, or even try to bell them back over on themselves, as this helps to prevent the cable pulling through.

Modern lead free solder is not as good, as the higher melting temp, along with its adeshion qualities leave something to be desired.

Best of luck
Neil

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I've found that the easiest way to solder cables up is to use a solder pot. No messing around with an iron or a torch. Simply flare out the cable strands to fit the end of your choice, make sure everything is nice and clean, slop lots of rosin flux on it, check for final positioning and dip it in the lead. No runs, no drips, no errors! Works a treat and much easier than using an iron or torch! :D
Cheers, John

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Doug Wood has suggested using a 1/2" steel pipe cap. Nice small size and a heavy wire handle could be twisted up for it.

I've found that the easiest way to solder cables up is to use a solder pot. No messing around with an iron or a torch. Simply flare out the cable strands to fit the end of your choice, make sure everything is nice and clean, slop lots of rosin flux on it, check for final positioning and dip it in the lead. No runs, no drips, no errors! Works a treat and much easier than using an iron or torch! :D
Cheers, John

sidmadrid

VOC Member
I've got one too.
Bought it fom Radio Spares many years ago.
Gulped at the price, but I've got over it since then.
Lots of fun using it.

John Cone

VOC Member
The best stuff to ensure everything is clean is Bakers Soldering fluid, i'm now on my last tin and hope I can get fresh stock. it's what the radiator repair poeple use.