C: Clutch C24 Ears

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A pleasant ride yesterday came to an early end when the bike wouldn't go. Prior to that, I was on a dual carriageway with a 55 mph limit, but all the cars were going 70, so I was happy to join in. The problem was that all the ears on my C24 plate had sheared off. I've ordered a new one from the Spares Co to get back on the road. Are bump starts rougher on the ears than kick-starting? My driveway has a slope and I used it to start a few weeks ago and I have just dropped the clutch a few times this year when the engine died as I was slowing for a traffic light to restart. If I am abusing it, I want to stop, or is it just one more thing to take a look at every winter?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bruce, I think the problem is far worse if there is too much backlash from those ears and the ones on the clutch drum. I feel the hammering action is quite destructive, and increases as this gap gets larger. If a new plate still has quite a lot of slop in the drum, then a replacement drum is probably in order as well. See how you go..............Greg.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
One can get a steel plate with bonded friction material and if drum is UN-modified for the Lightning disc then wear rate is halved again as it has ten (I think) ears to drive against. When fitting a Lightning plate normally over sized so filing is necessary carfully so each ear fits (measurement will reveal that the slots differ) the I use a white marker and paint half of an ear and half drum dog so it is only fitted one way. If not the proud ears get worn down first then backlash starts, and end up with that distinctive clutch rattle at idle. Don't forget the duct tape over the spring plate and nine 2 BA screws to prevent turning marks on inside of clutch cover. I believe there is a Canadian member who bonds the friction material to the inner & outer pressure plates and has a solid steel middle plate. It is said that better cooling is achieved of the friction material.
bananaman

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Received my new C24 from VOCSC yesterday, so the move didn't slow them down too much. It fit straight away with no filing needed and a barely perceptible bit of clearance. I have a screwdriver filed for a snug fit in the nine 406 screws, so I got those nice and tight. Now for a test ride!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I built my Rapide from bits and used the multi-plate clutch that was in one of the many boxes. Sorting through boxes later I found virtually all the parts for the original Vincent clutch including two solid Ferodo Lightning plates. I fitted the Vincent clutch later when I had a grabbing problem with the multi-plate clutch. Once set up correctly the Vincent clutch is a delight to use. My C24/1 plate ears or C1/1 drum must be a bit worn as it clatters loudly when ticking over. Your good fit of the ears should make your clutch nice and quiet. :)
I managed to buy some 2BA countersunk screws with an Allen socket that is convenient when assembling/disassembling, something that I did quite a few times when learning about the clutch and setting up the shoes.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny story about Clutches, That special tool I made worked super on my L/ning, Did my Special the other week, Killed it stone dead, Could not get out the garden, Most strange, Vin's are all different.
Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Funny story about Clutches, That special tool I made worked super on my L/ning, Did my Special the other week, Killed it stone dead, Could not get out the garden, Most strange, Vin's are all different.
Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
I found the jig good for getting a base setting that will usually work OK. If like me, you are often using a jumble of old parts that have seen a lot of action then the shoe springs might need a bit of tweaking in or out to either stop it grabbing or slipping under load. As you say, "Vin's are all different".

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The weak one was much too strong, And it moved much longer, I let them both off a bit and it's much better, But I will have to go in there again and put cam bushes in the pivots, When I raced it, I had a home made multi which gave a much quicker gear change, But was not so good at freeing off in traffic.
Also the Vin' one is much lighter for my bad hands, I hate shaking hands with Blokes who are Hard Men !.
The other thing I said some time ago, That Dave Hills told me to leave out 2 springs , For a light Clutch, It didn't work for me, But I must have given it another go !, I found only 4 springs in the Special ! and it works fine, As you say , These are old bit's that Don Alexander helped me pick out at a Vin' Rally.
They thought I was Strange, As everybody was fitting these New !! Multi's that had come on the market.
Cheers Bill.