C Twin footrest/ battery hanger FT48/1 E80 query

wld50

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In drawing no. MO21 the battery support FT29/1AS has 2 x E80 20 TPI thin 3/4"nuts next to the footrest spacer F51/5 and the footrest hanger F52/12.
My question is, what are the two E80 intended to do?
Can someone post some pictures of this area?
I can't see any pictures even in the gospel according to Bickerstaff.

I couldn't edit the heading to read C Twin footrest/ battery hanger FT48/2 E80 query!

Happy New year/ Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

wld:eek:

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
footrest e80

The are intended to stop you distorting G50, thereby screwing the smooth operation of the gear shifter or worse. I'm sure the handbook covers this , if not K T B or Richardson will(Can't be bothered to find it).Read on Mc Duff.

John Appleton

VOC Member
My question is, what are the two E80 intended to do?

:eek:

these two nuts are designed as adjusters to ensure that a snug fit is obtained inside the G50 plate. This eliminates any distortion of G50 when the footrests are tightened,as flexing in this area gives rise to faulty gear selection.
John

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Ktb

You beat me to it Roy John

Many thanks for pointing me at KTB. I cant find anything in Richardson.

KTB Miscellaneous parts ' the rear Engine plates etc'
page 52 says
'...purpose of ...FT5.. is to spread the load,,,
'Unfortunately the distance between the LHS and RHS plates may vary and it may be necessary ... to make sure that the pivot assembly is a good fit between the plates, there should be no slack between the E80 nuts and the plates.

I read this as: fit the rhs E80 (next to) the G50 and tighten up the other against it?

or not?

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Ft5...

Yes. If it isn't a b*gger to get between the plates, you've got it wrong. There will come a point when getting it wrong, i.e. not wide enough, has a seductive attraction. Filing a small lead-in on the appropriate edge of the appropriate nut should be resisted. Although, speaking for myself, failure to resist had no downside...

Many thanks for pointing me at KTB. I cant find anything in Richardson.

KTB Miscellaneous parts ' the rear Engine plates etc'
page 52 says
'...purpose of ...FT5.. is to spread the load,,,
'Unfortunately the distance between the LHS and RHS plates may vary and it may be necessary ... to make sure that the pivot assembly is a good fit between the plates, there should be no slack between the E80 nuts and the plates.

I read this as: fit the rhs E80 (next to) the G50 and tighten up the other against it?

or not?

wld50

Non-VOC Member
40 Years On, Gearboxes

Thanks Ken, I didn't think it would be in the Gearboxes section.

Cribb's very informative - if you know what parts he's referring to

I think the next step is to look at someone's bike that's back together - mine was a basket case

wld

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Instruction Sheet No. 3, the Vincent Gearbox, under 'Stiff Gearchange' states

"This may occur if the pivot bearing plate G50 is bent inwards, because then the actuating arm pivot G68, which is screwed into the plate, is pulled out of line with the bush G75 in the cover. One symptom is the presence of a small gap between the cover and plate just below the footrest distance piece. If this gap closes up and the actuating arm centralises correctly when the nut of the footrest hanger bolt is slackened, the remedy is to readjust the two locknuts on the footrest distance tube, just behind the plate. Before doing so, slacken the nut of the footrest hanger bolt several turns and also slacken the nut behind the left hand pivot bearing plate which retains the battery bolt anchor. This may seem unnecessary, but it is important. Then unlock the nuts E80 (which measure 1.1 in. (27.94 mm) across the flats) and screw the outer one outwards until it is bearing reasonably hard against the right hand pivot-bearing plate. Tighten up the footrest bolt and check the action of the actuating arm. If correct, lock up the inner nut against the outer and re-tighten the battery bolt anchor nut.
This trouble is unlikely to occur unless the machine has fallen heavily on the offside footrest. If the distance tube nuts are not adjusted quite hard enough against the plate the gearchange may be free when the unit is cold and stiffen up when hot due to thermal expansion. Re-adjust when hot."

The Instruction Sheets 1 - 14 and appendices are available from the Spares Co.

Hope this helps, Frank