C/D Battery Tray

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a basket case C and a complete D. I am trying to do a little rolling restoration the D and while doing this I am noting the differences in the two battery trays.

Looking at the spares book/parts list the parts look very similar, but looking at my two trays they look quite different.

Left is the C and Right is the D, is the D tray correct? The proper part numbers are FT29/1AS (C model) and per the drawing FT29/4AS (D model).

What brings this to question for me in the beginning was the fact that the D's battery strap had been modified as well.

Thanks
David

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The trays look correct for the appropriate model. The D tray places the battery on the right side of machine in order to clear the monobloc carbs(I believe the D uses 2 front heads, wcarbs both on left) The strap was probably modified for a C. The D has clearance and room for a taller step-up. If you try to fit the D battery carrier to the C chassis(if you happen to use 2 front heads) you will foul the spring box on the right side. Simply fit a shorter battery and strap assembly and you will be all set.
Good Luck, Dan