When i`m at home i will make a Closer Foto of the stamped letters. Erik

Attachments

• IMG_5239.JPG
    IMG_5239.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 26

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Akront made rims the same Looking like boranis.
Central wheels used to say Akront but now for some strange reason they describe the rims (crome and ally) with the appendage 'BSA' or 'Norton' or in the case of 'valenced alloy rim', 'Triumph' . There no mention of the actual makers of the rim, It may even be their own, they are big enough (I belive its CW who make the initial big order of 20" tyres from Avon), Although I am a long time user of CW I do tend nowadays to go to smaller wheelbuilders so I can see what they are supplying, and on occasion when its a straight change of rusty spokes or rim I have used my own Taveners jig made out of a kitchen worktop.

highbury731

VOC Member

erik

VOC Member
On my bike the rear rim is blank beside a stamped in 40 . this could mean 40 spokes? On the front rim Borrani/WM 3 /19/ Record /RM01/4441

vibrac

VOC Member
My recent set of Ackront rims(for a Douglas project) no longer have a WM or even the MT stamped on them They have 1.6 X 21 and 2.15 X 19 that equates to a narrow WM1 and a std WM3 dont even ask me what that means on the MT scale I have enough job with all the 80/90 etc for tyres

litnman

VOC Member
Does anyone know who made the un-stamped rims that were supplied on some
early Flashes and Lightnings?

oexing

VOC Member
Didn´t Dunlop produce alu rims as well ? This type can be seen on some old pictures of racers and I would not think all were imported from Italy then.

Vic

davidd

VOC Member
Does anyone know who made the un-stamped rims that were supplied on some
early Flashes and Lightnings?

Nobody knows where the unmarked rims for some of the Lightnings and Flashes came from. I asked John Bland, who ordered all the parts for Vincent, but he could not remember. He did remember sourcing them in Italy, but he could not remember the manufacturer.

According to John Bland, Dunlop would have had a trademark on the rims as they were working under strict trademark rules in the U.K. So would Boranni, being a licensee of Rudge for the Knock-off wheels, they generally complied with the U.K. trademark rules. There were no trademark rules in Italy and no trademarks were required for their home market or export markets.

These shallow shoulder rims were used by other race bikes of the period and they may be noted in the history of other marques, but to date, no manufacturer's name has emerged.

David