H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. I’ll get the pair from Wheelhousetyres.
Not seeing a 20” tube for the front though. I’ll ask when I order.
I dont think there are any you just have to stretch things I think...

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry Marcus. Are you saying that you use tubeless tyres on spoked wheels? Is the silicone used to seal the spoke nipples and the edges of the tyre? Is the rubber band which normally protects the tube from the nipple ends used to help the sealing with the silicone? Just trying to understand.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Motor Wheel Service have been selling tubeless wire wheels for cars for donkeys years. Fitted loads of them, no comebacks! There is a youtube how to on bike wheels. Not sure if I fancy having a go personally.

danno

Non-VOC Member
The Speedmaster Mkii is a tube type tyre though. Don’t even know if there is a tubeless tyre available for the standard front wheel.
Maybe most people stretch a 19” tube as suggested.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Sorry Marcus. Are you saying that you use tubeless tyres on spoked wheels? Is the silicone used to seal the spoke nipples and the edges of the tyre? Is the rubber band which normally protects the tube from the nipple ends used to help the sealing with the silicone? Just trying to understand.

Hi Norman,
There are a number of companies who will supply or convert tubed rims suitable for tubeless tyres.
The modern Honda Africa Twin is a prime example, and uses a special tape supplied by 3M to seal the spokes.

Neil

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I've never gone tubeless Norman, it's just that I heard what some KiWi's do but it could be their INGINUETY getting ahead of them. All my bikes have 21" front except the "D" & a "C" Comet so it's been a case of carrying two spare tubes when touring until last year when I put a 21" WM 4 rim on the rear of the "A" rap so only carry one spare now on that bike. but haven't really tried it yet and don't think I'm strong enough to do it, but Vincent Speet might be able to handle it, Mike Tyler was frightened by it in 2016 when Harvey & I did Route 66. It tends to tank slap at low speeds but my panniers are usually loaded and far back in order to carry 14 litres of fuel or in the case of the "A" at that time doing the Scandinavian tour extra 7 litres of oil and another 5 litres given to me by Neville Higgens to get home.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Dan, National Bike Tyres mail order, Speedmaster 20 inch front, Roadrunner 4.10 x 19 rear, £74 each, in stock. Rim tapes and Michelin tubes also available, ask about front tube size, current advise seems to be stretch 19". Very helpful, reasonable carriage costs, recommended. Good luck....