H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Buying Tyres for a Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dan, National Bike Tyres mail order, Speedmaster 20 inch front, Roadrunner 4.10 x 19 rear, £74 each, in stock. Rim tapes and Michelin tubes also available, ask about front tube size, current advise seems to be stretch 19". Very helpful, reasonable carriage costs, recommended. Good luck....

Thanks.
Yes, on Velocette owners site, consensus seems to be 19” tube for a 20” wheel. It may crease using 21”.
Wheelhousetyres say that the Michelin 21” tube is a perfect fit for the Speedmaster
20”.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Dan, l have used both 19 & 21 inch tubes on 20 inch rims, neither has caused me any problems. The Avon safety mileage is perhaps not the best tyre to use on the rear of a solo machine hence my reference to the universal (front or rear fitment) roadrunner cover which in my opinion does not look out of place on a standard machine. In fact l think l read somewhere on this forum that Ted Davis prefered this set up, for pressures l would start at 28 front 30 rear and see how it goes. One other thing, security bolts are not really needed with modern rubber and carcass construction, again just my opinion. Good luck, mind how you go.......

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have several bikes with 20 in Avon Speedmasters on the front and the Avon Roadrunner on the rear. I like the combination. I do have a spare 20" tube which I carry when touring along with a 19 for the rear. I think all of the ones fitted to the bike have 19" tubes in the 20 in tires and have never been a problem. The biggest mileage gets done on the Woolly Mammoth rapide and it has modern 19 and 18 Roadriders with appropriate tubes.
As for tubeless, one Dan Smith used a kit he has purchased on line on both his Shadow and his A twin replica and swears by them.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Dan, l have used both 19 & 21 inch tubes on 20 inch rims, neither has caused me any problems. The Avon safety mileage is perhaps not the best tyre to use on the rear of a solo machine hence my reference to the universal (front or rear fitment) roadrunner cover which in my opinion does not look out of place on a standard machine. In fact l think l read somewhere on this forum that Ted Davis prefered this set up, for pressures l would start at 28 front 30 rear and see how it goes. One other thing, security bolts are not really needed with modern rubber and carcass construction, again just my opinion. Good luck, mind how you go.......

Thanks.
I’m sure it’s only ever had the Safety Mileage rear fitted. Have always been used to that squared off look.
I did consider Roadriders as I have them on my BMW R60 but then realised I’d need different wheel sizes.
Just wondering what the official sizes are.
The Roadrunner is wider than the SM Mkii but don’t mind the more modern profile.
There’s a security bolt fitted. I remember my father fitted it after a low speed tyre deflation where the tyre rotated enough on the rim to rip the valve off.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Dan, an explanation on the tyre size, 3.5x19 is the old measurement, 4.1 x 19 is a direct replacement in modern parlance, same width which fits the same rim. A further thought, perhaps the offending valve ripping tyre was a little old like the ones you intend to replace in which case the rubber may well have lost its grip on the rim? Same thing happened to me under heavy braking on a Comet and when l examined the tyre date code l found the tyre was over ten years old and when it came to removal time the old hard rubber almost fell of the rim, low pressure may also have been a contributing factor however. Safety mileage tyres may well have a visual appeal but Roadrunners will save on your laundry expenses, mind how you go.......

danno

Non-VOC Member
Dan, an explanation on the tyre size, 3.5x19 is the old measurement, 4.1 x 19 is a direct replacement in modern parlance, same width which fits the same rim. A further thought, perhaps the offending valve ripping tyre was a little old like the ones you intend to replace in which case the rubber may well have lost its grip on the rim? Same thing happened to me under heavy braking on a Comet and when l examined the tyre date code l found the tyre was over ten years old and when it came to removal time the old hard rubber almost fell of the rim, low pressure may also have been a contributing factor however. Safety mileage tyres may well have a visual appeal but Roadrunners will save on your laundry expenses, mind how you go.......

Thanks. Really useful info.
The tyres have been on the bike for over twenty years but only have 9000 miles on them.
Time for new boots.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I messaged Avon regarding the Roadrunner rear for the Rapide. They said it would be 10mm wider
than the Safety Mileage Mkii but will fit rim fine.
Also will reduce ride height by 7-8mm.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I haven't seen new Avon Roadrunners for quite a few years.
Are these Roadriders?
Roadrunner was a name used after the Super Venom and before the Roadrider. I had some but can't recall the tread design. I think it was similar to the Roadrider.
Avon has added a Roadrider MK2 recently but still show plain Roadriders listed as well. The MK2 Roadrider listing shows all of the old Roadrider sizes. The plain Roadrider listing just has a few mostly oddball sizes . Maybe getting rid of old stock?
Avon rates the MK2 Roadrider as having better wet and dry grip than the old Roadrider, which already had good grip.
They claim the same wear rate for both types.

Glen

Last edited:

LoneStar

VOC Member
The Roadrunner is still available - they tend to call it by the 'AM9' designation. I prefer it to the Roadrider as it has a more traditional tread pattern.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
All the Avon info is available here. Go to page 20 for the Classic versions. The 3 x 20 Speedmaster is listed as "Special production only". I gave up on Roadrunners because the tread wore quickly. I switched to Bridgestone Spitfire some time ago. It's technically a front only tire, which is okay on my Comet with a 19" front rim, but on the Shadow rear, I just mount it for the opposite rotation.

Last edited: