buying and insuring abroad

M

mark revelle

I'm buying a vincent abroad, and I want to ride it back to England.

My insurers, Footman James, say they can't insure me.

Has anyone else managed to do this?

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Surely under a comprehensive policy you can ride any machine that doesn't belong to you,if the niceties of the paperwork between you and the seller has not been carried out. it's not your bike and I wouldn't of said anything to them ridden it home then say you'd bought it.

M

mark revelle

Thanks John. As I wouldn't really want to buy it and not own it, and I don't suppose the seller would part with it without having sold it, it would have to be my insurance, so I would be riding there and here uninsured. The paperwork is more than just the niceties, alas...

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Mark,
I think it may also be to do with where the vehicle is registered (non UK) and problems with customs and excise.
It might be possible to get temporary insurance in the sellers country (using his address) to enable you to ride the bike back???

Neil

M

mark revelle

Neil

Yes, it is down to its being registered abroad. I'm still investigating, but I don't really see what the problem is....

Mark

Albervin

VOC Member
Being a naive type I would assume that if buying a bike outside your country then it is registered/taxed in that country. It would thus seem to make sense to insure it in that country, irrespective of where you are riding it. Of course being in Australia things may be different but if I was buying a bike in New Zealand I would fully expect to organise the insurance there then insure it at home once the paperwork is fixed up. Reminds me of when I was in Liechtenstein many years ago & an American lady on a bus tour wanted to buy a sheet (100) of stamps. The post office clerk said there was a post box outside but the American lady said she was going to write the cards that night & post them in the morning.................in Switzerland!!

M

mark revelle

Well, perhaps. But then, assuming I rode home through Germany, Luxembourg and Holland or France, I'd have to insure it in each country, which hardly seems practical....I did buy insurance in the US on one trip where I bought a bike and sold it when I left - it wasn't the easiest of options. But I'll try a local broker and see - anyone got Professor Higgins number?

M

mark revelle

The problem has been resolved, thanks entirely to the assiduous work put in by Arthey Farrow, whom I would like to thank publicly.