Buying a Comet

Mateusz Musialski

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new here - forgive me if I make some faux-pas.
Should I introduce myself in details somewhere on the forum?

Looking for a Comet to buy. I prefer motorcycle with documented history and matching numbers, in running condition, cosmetics is not important.
How do you think, with budget 20 000 GBP it will be possible to find some reasonable offer?
What should I particularly check before buying (except for: engine number, crankcase mating number and both UFM & RFM numbers)??

Presently there are three Comets on carandclassic.co.uk - any of them worth to be interested?
I read that on Vincent Spares web site there is adverts from/to VOC members, is the site with adverts working now?
It will be possible for me to register as member although I don’t possess Vincent yet?

Lastly - please forgive my English, it’s not my native language.
Thanks for your feedback.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You dont have to be a member to buy a vincent from the spares company they are only agents for the seller. Give them a ring and ask {0}1536 312 220 on Monday but by then [ hopefully] the new website server should be up & running

timetraveller

VOC Member
My guess is that it will be possible. Your disadvantage is that you are well away from where most of the bikes are. However, once you are a member and advertise in the Vincent Club magazine (MPH) with a wanted advertisement then some will appear. The problem will be to find one in good condition mechanically. Look for one with a long time owner who has also been a keen rider but has now got too old to ride anymore. Good luck with it.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi Mateuze be sure to try the spares club first it is the safest way, but if you do not find what you are looking for try www. car and classic .co.uk Be very very wary of buying from auction sites ..... do not buy without checking and rechecking, see the bike and paper work etc!

Mateusz Musialski

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Tom!
Thanks for advice. Presently I'm leaning towards advices of @vibrac and @timetraveller, VOC Spares Co website is back on, and there is two interesting offers. First thing first - I' going to became VOC Member and learn more about Vincents :) Then I will look for motorcycle offered to sell by long time owner.

BTW, why my avatar is tagged with Greek flag? Before was proper - Poland...

Best regards,
Mateusz

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The flag is derived from your internet IP address. Depending on where you are located at the time, or how you are connected to the internet, it may not match your nationality.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Hello Mateusz, you are very welcome to join the Vincent HRD Owners Club with or without a bike. We have only one member in Poland at the moment if you private message us we may be able to put you in touch with him. For your information there is a Polish Rally scheduled for May 2020 near Gdansk.
Best wishes, Ron and Linda, Membership secretaries.

Mateusz Musialski

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Ron and Linda :)

PM will follow this message.
Regarding Polish Rally scheduled for May 2020 near Gdansk - any other info, perhaps webpage?
I could not find nothing in polish internet :/

Maybe you mean Droga Kaszubska Rally, which is not annual, maybe they are planning to organise next in 2020? This Rally is located near Gdansk, and exclusively for motorcycles made before 1945 (with exception for british bikes - made up to 1978). Their english version of website is limp, but photos from last Rally 2016 are self explanatory :)

--
Best regards,
Mateusz