• New Member Special Offer

Join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club today, and get a special offer of 14 months for the price of 12 (your membership will expire on 31st December 2020)!

There is a mass of information, including many thousands of technical articles which have been written since the Club started in 1948, which are only available to Members of the Club. Once you join, your membership of this forum will be upgraded and you'll get access to them, as well as many other features.

To join, simply click HERE and follow the simple instructions.

Ron and Linda Thomas - Membership Secretaries.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Buying a Comet

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new here - forgive me if I make some faux-pas.
Should I introduce myself in details somewhere on the forum?

Looking for a Comet to buy. I prefer motorcycle with documented history and matching numbers, in running condition, cosmetics is not important.
How do you think, with budget 20 000 GBP it will be possible to find some reasonable offer?
What should I particularly check before buying (except for: engine number, crankcase mating number and both UFM & RFM numbers)??

Presently there are three Comets on carandclassic.co.uk - any of them worth to be interested?
I read that on Vincent Spares web site there is adverts from/to VOC members, is the site with adverts working now?
It will be possible for me to register as member although I don’t possess Vincent yet?

Lastly - please forgive my English, it’s not my native language.
Thanks for your feedback.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
You dont have to be a member to buy a vincent from the spares company they are only agents for the seller. Give them a ring and ask {0}1536 312 220 on Monday but by then [ hopefully] the new website server should be up & running

timetraveller

VOC Member
My guess is that it will be possible. Your disadvantage is that you are well away from where most of the bikes are. However, once you are a member and advertise in the Vincent Club magazine (MPH) with a wanted advertisement then some will appear. The problem will be to find one in good condition mechanically. Look for one with a long time owner who has also been a keen rider but has now got too old to ride anymore. Good luck with it.

tom wilson

Active Website User
VOC Member
Hi Mateuze be sure to try the spares club first it is the safest way, but if you do not find what you are looking for try www. car and classic .co.uk Be very very wary of buying from auction sites ..... do not buy without checking and rechecking, see the bike and paper work etc!

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
Hi Tom!
Thanks for advice. Presently I'm leaning towards advices of @vibrac and @timetraveller, VOC Spares Co website is back on, and there is two interesting offers. First thing first - I' going to became VOC Member and learn more about Vincents :) Then I will look for motorcycle offered to sell by long time owner.

BTW, why my avatar is tagged with Greek flag? Before was proper - Poland...

Best regards,
Mateusz

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
The flag is derived from your internet IP address. Depending on where you are located at the time, or how you are connected to the internet, it may not match your nationality.

RonandLinda

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Hello Mateusz, you are very welcome to join the Vincent HRD Owners Club with or without a bike. We have only one member in Poland at the moment if you private message us we may be able to put you in touch with him. For your information there is a Polish Rally scheduled for May 2020 near Gdansk.
Best wishes, Ron and Linda, Membership secretaries.

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
Hi Ron and Linda :)

PM will follow this message.
Regarding Polish Rally scheduled for May 2020 near Gdansk - any other info, perhaps webpage?
I could not find nothing in polish internet :/

Maybe you mean Droga Kaszubska Rally, which is not annual, maybe they are planning to organise next in 2020? This Rally is located near Gdansk, and exclusively for motorcycles made before 1945 (with exception for british bikes - made up to 1978). Their english version of website is limp, but photos from last Rally 2016 are self explanatory :)

--
Best regards,
Mateusz

fishingpaul703

New Website User
VOC Member
Thank you both @vibrac and @Nulli Secundus - it's my plan to become a VOC member :)
Anyone share his opinion if I'm a dreamer looking up for decent Comet with max budget 20k GBP ?
In U.S. $ 20K GBP would now = $25,200......more than enough to get a good running Comet, but not a show queen. Some people value (?overvalue) matching numbers, some don't. Given a choice my priority would be a good running bike carefully checked out my a "nonpartisan" Vincent expert. Join the VOC, lots of folks willing to help.

"champagne" Paul

Attachments

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
In U.S. $ 20K GBP would now = $25,200......more than enough to get a good running Comet, but not a show queen. Some people value (?overvalue) matching numbers, some don't. Given a choice my priority would be a good running bike carefully checked out my a "nonpartisan" Vincent expert. Join the VOC, lots of folks willing to help.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your input. Nice Comet of yours.
Indeed a lot of folks willing to help - I was surprised with warm welcome :)
I posted "wanted" advert in appropriate forum section.
As adviced by one of members - I'm going to let the bike find me :)

Since April I'm watching internet for Comet adverts. With one exception, no one was sold.
Still same adverts with same prices, looks like it is hard to sell Comet for requested price ;)

--
Regards,
Mateusz Musialski

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
Info on the Polish Rally is attached.
Thanks MartynG,

It is very interesting. Completely lack of any information of this rally in polish internet, as well among polish moto-veteran community.

Is this rally organised purely by/ for VOC members??

--
Regards
Mateusz Musialski

MartynG

VOC Member
Thanks MartynG,

It is very interesting. Completely lack of any information of this rally in polish internet, as well among polish moto-veteran community.

Is this rally organised purely by/ for VOC members??

--
Regards
Mateusz Musialski
The flyer was handed out at the recent VOC International in Austria - thats all I know about it

Mateusz Musialski

Website User
VOC Member
Looks like sometimes show-up offers with reasonable prices.
Advert on carandclassic.co.uk
And link to Auction House

0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

I'm a newbie, please someone explain me:
- "auction estimate" - is it estimation of final price or this is price from which auction starts?
- final price will be increased by auction fees or these are included in final bid?

--
Regards,
Mateusz

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Auction estimate is an estimation of the how much money the final bid will be. It will not be less than 13,000 nor more than 15,000. In addition to that the bidder will pay a premium to the auction house, a predetermined percentage above what he bid. The seller may or may not also pay to the auction house a consignment fee. That would be dependent upon what is written into the consignment contract that the seller has with the auction house.
Steven

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Auction estimate is an estimation of the how much money the final bid will be. It will not be less than 13,000 nor more than 15,000.
Huh? What prevents the bids from going over 15,000, or stopping short of 13,000?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Huh? What prevents the bids from going over 15,000, or stopping short of 13,000?
Duh, you're right Steve. I didn't quite say that correctly did I? (Rhetorical questions that, of course I didn't). What I meant to say is that it is not EXPECTED (my emphasis not yelling at anyone) that the final bid to be less than 13,000 nor more than 15,000. Thanks for catching that. You are of course correct it may fall short of expectations or might exceed them.
Steven