Burman Sprocket

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just want a gearbox sprocket that will live for more than a year and 8-10K miles. I still haven't adjusted the new O-ring chain that went on at the same time.
Robert

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Disappointing news about the quality of sprockets; I've just put new ones on my twin along with an Iwis 'Megalife' chain and was expecting 30 to 40K miles at least. :(

F

Flatout

David Holder.

David Holder (The Vincent HRD Company) only supplies to the trade.

Russ (Vinparts International).

Thanks Russ. I've managed to get a contact number and a good friend of mine is well established in the motorcycle trade so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Just thinking aloud - how to tighten/loosen sprocket nut.
KTB mentions holding nut in a vice and bashing the sprocket teeth with a hammer and a softish drift.
Here is an old dodge.
Another way is to hold the nut in a vice, and convert the sprocket into a spanner. First get an old rear chain. Then cut as long a length of heavy steel tube as will fit [typically about 2 ft ].
Wrap the chain round the sprocket teeth, feed the 2 ends of the chain through the tube. Move tube end to be snug towards the sprocket. Fit a HT bolt/nut through the 2 bits of chain protruding through the end of the tube. You now have a 'spanner' which can turn the sprocket without damaging the teeth.
Ancient method, but out of favour as it does not cost megabucks.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Diogenes,
I love these tips. It's the sort of stuff that helped us non-engineering types to keep our Vins on the road forty years ago. At the risk of elephant traps has anyone tried Supersprox, the firm originally started by Roger Maughflin (I think). When I belonged to the Federation Of Sidecar Clubs, many years ago, there were members who had their sprockets retoothed and enlarged (or reduced) by the firm. I have no experience or knowledge of how this was achieved.

derek

VOC Member
Gearbox sprocket nut

I recently fitted a gearbox sprocket from VOC spares, it does have a 2 5/8" recess. I made a simple spanner as followes; 18" length od 3/4" steel tube drilled to take two tight fitting 1/4" diameter steel pins, the distance between the inside edge of pins to match the across flats measurement of the nuts, The pins also fit nicely in the recess. Keep the pins short so that the steel handle rests on the shaft as tightening. Hold the sprocket as mentioned with a length of chain or as I did with a convenient chain wrench, that happend to be the correct pitch.