G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman lube questions...

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Bruce , I can never get into it, Says I have to be a Club Member, Which I am, But does not give me any other options. Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill..Do you click on 'members login' first? When you do you should get to where you enter your membership and password. the home screen then shows the 'members login' in green which means you can then search the categories..John

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
When you go to the VOC web site, to access any member specific content you MUST first log in as a member EVERY TIME you visit the web site.

See below, you need to click on "Members Login" and then enter your login credentials.
1517732028555.png

druridge

VOC Member
Hi
I have put a lot of information on the site about The Burman box on my Comet which I| have rebuilt several times - mainly to fix leaks. This has involved replacing the seals (with a new spacer from Draganfly) and bearing on the drive side, replacing the layshaft bushes and modifying the gearchange spindle to include an oilseal.
Getting the old grease out has unfortunately always involved stripping the gearbox. It still remains a problem after a while on how to find out how much grease is still in the gearbox !!
If I dip through the filler hole down to the bottom, around 1 inch seems to be OK.
I will try to find where all this Burman information is on the forum.
Matty
There's an older thread 'comet gearbox lubricant' which covers some of this ground....eg. using both oil & grease together.
I still dont think 'old' grease (probably unmelted) sat in corners of gearbox castings is a problem. If trying to refill from scratch, then I disregard the volume and fill oil to level.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
Hope you have managed to reach the forum OK.
But I did put quite a lot of data on BURMAN on a topic called I think "Burman 4th Gear selector meltdown" Click here for the link (Moderator) because several of us got together on the forum who had had the selector problem and did quite a detailed analysis of the mechanical tolerances in the box.
I did not have the problem, but we did come up with some solutions to make the top gear dogs engage by a greater amount to relieve the stresses on the selector fork and I incorporated the mods. to my box when I rebuilt it to stop grease leaks, in the hope of preventing the selector problem.
All has been fine since and I use Penrite grease with no oil. I thought this grease was thixotropic but it does not seem to be, but can be poured (slowly) or drained if heated up with a heater under the bike.
I have modified the gearchange bearing to incorporate an oilseal and this has worked well for the larger bearing but still leaks a little from the shaft with the indicator.
Matty

Last edited by a moderator:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi
But I did put quite a lot of data on BURMAN on a topic called I think "Burman 4th Gear selector meltdown" Click here for the link (Moderator) because several of us got together on the forum who had had the selector problem and did quite a detailed analysis of the mechanical tolerances in the box.
I did not have the problem, but we did come up with some solutions to make the top gear dogs engage by a greater amount to relieve the stresses on the selector fork and I incorporated the mods. to my box when I rebuilt it to stop grease leaks, in the hope of preventing the selector problem.
All has been fine since and I use Penrite grease with no oil. I thought this grease was thixotropic but it does not seem to be, but can be poured (slowly) or drained if heated up with a heater under the bike.
I have modified the gearchange bearing to incorporate an oilseal and this has worked well for the larger bearing but still leaks a little from the shaft with the indicator.
Matty
You need a couple of o-rings in the block. One `tween case and block and another to seal the shaft. Only involves a little countersinking.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi
Matty
The fix for the oil/grease leak from the shaft with the indicator is fully described on OVR #36, March 2017.

Penrite actually recommend heating the grease to aid in getting it in and out of the gearbox.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Corey,
My Richardson (page88 in my copy) says:

Grease 1 3/4 pounds or 0.8 kg. If it later starts screeching add 1/2pint or 1/4 litre engine oil.

When using oil (or probably very sloppy grease), use 1 1/2 pints or 3/4 litre oil, this equals 1 1/4inches on a dipstick inserted through the filling orifice.

These are full bodied British pints of course, not your US part measures.

Tatty

vibrac

VOC Member
It may not be perfect but its a lot better than brewing up a concoction as suggested all those years ago and I note their web page actually mentions Burman gearboxes
1579892876233.png