Burman kickstart shaft

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone happen to have a pre war Burman BAPH kickstart shaft under the bench, it’s shorter than the post war.

I’m looking for one with good splines to complete my gearbox on an early 35 comet.

Thanks
Mark

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Not sure the pre war had splines? Certainly my original gearbox has a cotter pin arrangement. Also my prewar Ariels have the same arrangement.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just looked at some factory photos of a early series A in the new Back to A book and they show a cotter pin type kickstart where the cotter pin goes through the kickstart on the top of the shaft. See pg 87 & pg142. The photo on pg 100 shows a 1936 Comet special with a splined type kickstart with the clamping bolt at bottom of shaft. According to Draganfly motors the cotter pin type was used up to 1936 and then the splinded followed. So maybe Mark the cotter pin type shaft is correct for your 1935 bike.

greg brillus

VOC Member
They also have a grease nipple in the center of the shaft. Draganfly or VOC spares co, but you will probably struggle to find an original shaft NOS. Ebay or swap meets your best bet.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I suspect the Burman kickstart shaft the VOC spares sells is the one for the post war Comet which is a different length to the series A gearbox as the series A has different outer covers etc.
The series A kickstart quadrant is also narrower that the series B/C due to the pre war gearbox outer covers been narrower and so less space around that area.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I bought three of them from both suppliers, yes they are different, but I was able to alter it without too much difficulty. Just had to grind a bit off part of the return spring spline, enough to gain a bit of end float with the outer cover on and a gasket. The outer covers on those early gearbox's are expensive to repair, the bore for the kickstart bush, the pivot for the clutch lever and the bore of the clutch plunger all suffer from lots of use.

Dinny

VOC Member
Simon,

I think you are correct, looking at the book it should have the cotter pin type. You have the one there thats the cotter pin type, can you send me the shaft OD for both ends and maybe include a picture.

If I go that route then I would need a new outer bush made and then need to find a cotter pin style kickstart. Another can of worms opened!.

Mark

Dinny

VOC Member
Not sure the pre war had splines? Certainly my original gearbox has a cotter pin arrangement. Also my prewar Ariels have the same arrangement.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info, Simon has the same thought now that it should be the cotter pin type which leaves me looking for a cotter pin kickstart as I may have a shaft I can use.

Hows your project coming on? Mines slow after 12 gearbox rebuilds to get it to work and about as much progress on the primary getting everything to fit.

Cheers
Mark

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Hmmm NOS. Mark my kickstarter differs from the diagram shown, it is a one piece unit not two, I will dig it out and send a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 19