G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman Help

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tim,
The clue will be in the gearbox internals. It might be you just have a BAPCA outer cover; but if the gears have 5 dogs on them they are close ratio gears (with high bottom gear - or even low ratio trials gears). Let me know the numbers of teeth and I can identify them for you. I might even buy them from you if you're in selling mode..... :)
Peter B
Bristol, UK
Hi Peter;
I know the TTR's came with close ratio dog style gears, however I can tell you that there are standard ratio dog style gears out there. I have a set in my TTR. I think they came from and AJW. Dan bought the whole box from somewhere in the South of the UK and put it in the AJS V4 but the gears howled like a banshee so a set of standard type gears went in. When I was building the TTR we were talking about dog gears and he allowed as that he had a set on the shelf, but were very noisy. About a week later he called and said I owed him $50 bucks. When questioned for what, he just quietly said "the steel for the new double gear and out put gear for the dog gear set. It was those that were the noise problem. Oh and for the steel for the broach for the double gear internal spline"
They have the same No of teeth as the standard type gears.

Plus for those that don't know, many of the pre and post war internals (gears in particular) are the same. I raided a late Ariel Sq 4 box for better internals on the A twin, but kept the original bits with all the right numbers on them.

Cheers Robert

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Tim my handsome, why are all your pictures upsidedown? all layshafts are on the bottom otherwise it confuses folk, well it does me! I do have several boxes kicking around some pre & post-war. You will have to go through them when next down and between us will probably make some usable ones.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim my handsome, why are all your pictures upsidedown? all layshafts are on the bottom otherwise it confuses folk, well it does me! I do have several boxes kicking around some pre & post-war. You will have to go through them when next down and between us will probably make some usable ones.
To eliminate any confusion I have just rotated the photos in Tim's posting so the layshaft is at the bottom. So ignore my post #6 above as the original photos caught me out as well.

Simon

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Thank you Simon. We do have some smart buggers in this club, could I actually do it too, or is passwords required? Zoom is the next challenge as the executive want to use it too as we ain't able to muster.
bananaman

vibrac

VOC Member
Thank you Simon. We do have some smart buggers in this club, could I actually do it too, or is passwords required? Zoom is the next challenge as the executive want to use it too as we ain't able to muster.
bananaman
It aint rocket science but you need a decent connection (and have a shave :() 3 of us did it ok yesterday (zoom not shaving)

powella

Non-VOC Member
These may be of use for identifying your box.

I think you have a early Square 4 box possibly 1937.

The cover numbered 4BA looks like yours and with its slot at the bottom this may be Ariel ( or Matchless ).
forum box 001.jpg
forum box 002.jpg

Take a look at the list of 4BA parts , there would appear to be 15 different variations !

The other page shows 5 Dog Gears.