G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman Help

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is no doubt I should have had a good sort out in storage room 17 a long time ago :confused:(The last scene in raiders of the lost arc :) ) now I have time on my hands.....
I have discovered about 2 cubic feet of Burman I neatly stashed away in a trunk a decade ago. good stuff some non Panther/Comet but some Vincent I need some but may assemble a box for funds. Anyway among it was this front section of what I call a kidney box I am pretty sure the rest is in the trunk but before I sort it I am wondering is this the box they used on the Flash? before Albion or on the A's?
1586086721544.jpeg
1586086813548.jpeg
1586086856909.jpeg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
That looks like a pre war type used on the series A. Usually the A' gearbox number though begins with BAPH#### , then XBAPH##### but there were other slight varients of that coding used as well. I think the Rapide was usually 2XBAPH#####.

vibrac

VOC Member
well this is BAPCA (picture 2 in first post)
I think I have found the other half
I am hoping the gears are in a pile with the other burman and perhaps even albion stuff (I think I got it dismantled) I hope there is a document or to to help me reconstruct! hours of endless fun here just very appropriate ... after I finished le grand stocktake
but looking at the carcase it looks like a bottom swinger al la Vincent
1586091332156.png

1.png

2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
This is the only ref I can find to a BAPCA box on a Vincent on the web ( here of course using search) talking about a TTC prewar Vincent back in 2017 so they were fitted co-incidentally I have some MCC lands end trial programs from 1933 showing the Vincent HRD Team. The Burman nomenclature is a real mystery hoping the CA bit is only gear ratios I am interested in using it in a post war Comet as was done on the early Flashes
(Always assuming I can get the bits in the right order :eek: )

I was asked what a TTC was! as there is part of in Australia,the only reference I can find is in PEI book one made in 1934 Comet special TTR engine Burman BAPCA gearbox made for Bill Clarke (Vincent HRD Director) for the Six Days Trial ?

A_HRD

VOC Member
Tim,
The clue will be in the gearbox internals. It might be you just have a BAPCA outer cover; but if the gears have 5 dogs on them they are close ratio gears (with high bottom gear - or even low ratio trials gears). Let me know the numbers of teeth and I can identify them for you. I might even buy them from you if you're in selling mode..... :)
Peter B
Bristol, UK

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
but looking at the carcase it looks like a bottom swinger al la Vincent
Series A gearboxes pivot on the bottom bolt and the adjuster is on the top of the gearbox which is opposite to post war bikes. So the main shell at least is not off a series A.

The photos were initially posted upside down hence my confusion. The photos have now been rotated to the correct orientation so ignore my comment above.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Simon,
I think you'll find that Tim has photographed the main shell upside-down, that's all. If you look carefully at the last photo you can see the 1/4 pin alongside the slotted casting (which has no threaded holes) - so all as per 1930s/early40s Ariel, Panther or 'A'. But certainly not an early Flash gearbox (way too early) - and the outer cover is definitely mid-30s.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

vibrac

VOC Member
I just took a photo I have no idea which way is up however now I look I can see that there is a large threaded hole at side of the main casting side now at risk of showing even more of my ignorance that looks like where the lubrication enters, (grease oil?) if so then perhaps the slotted lug is indeed at the top. But the lack of adjusters makes be wonder how it was held (useing that pin?) and finally what about that quote that Mr Clarks Comet that had one of these boxes (PCV quote)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Absolutely Tim, This box would have been used on the TTRs and TTCs - unless the customer wanted the std one.
Peter B
Bristol, UK

vibrac

VOC Member
I also had a quick look at PCV snarling Beast book and speaking of the 1950 TT he says that the 15year old Burman boxes were not happy so they changed to Albion if they did it at Douglas in the IOM with few resources the set up of the gear box must have been similar to the Albion that followed which is a bit of a lash up (having done one)