G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman gears

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear all,
do you have any advice on what should be periodical maintenance on Burmag gears for my Comet?
I notice oil level for primary chain is low (not at bolts level), which oil tipe should I use to fill?
Below oil level bolt there is another bolt bigger with prints on the heat, what is it about? Is it for drain the oli?
On the other side there are all the gears, should I fill with grace?
How much ?
Type?
How to know right level?
Thanks
Penrite Semi Fluid grease is made specifically for Burman Gearboxes, it is thick when cold but liquid when hot. Available from the VOC Spares Company.

Best oil in the primary case is Motul TransOil 10W-30

Attachments

• 20200831_124634.jpg
    20200831_124634.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200831_124658.jpg
    20200831_124658.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SEMI FLUID GREASE.pdf
    269 KB · Views: 6
  • Transoil_10W-30_(GB).pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 3

erik

VOC Member
I use semi-fluid swivel grease for Landrovers. Works perfect and filling in the gearbox is not Problem because the grease is in a plastic bag with a nozzle. Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Penrite Semi Fluid grease is made specifically for Burman Gearboxes, it is thick when cold but liquid when hot. Available from the VOC Spares Company.

Best oil in the primary case is Motul TransOil 10W-30
Dear Martyn,
today a check the grace level in the Burman Gearboxes with a wire as show in the enclosed foto. it was grased for 25 mm (if I place in the correct position the wire). Is that enough?
From different discussion in the forum I believe I should add some. I believe it should be around 1'1/2 = 38mm. Is that correct?
If I need to add some can I add Penrite even If I do not know what there is inside now?
I should say that, so far, the gear is running fine and do not give any problem.
Thanks

Attachments

• grace.jpg
    grace.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 16

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Dear Martyn,
today a check the grace level in the Burman Gearboxes with a wire as show in the enclosed foto. it was grased for 25 mm (if I place in the correct position the wire). Is that enough?
From different discussion in the forum I believe I should add some. I believe it should be around 1'1/2 = 38mm. Is that correct?
If I need to add some can I add Penrite even If I do not know what there is inside now?
I should say that, so far, the gear is running fine and do not give any problem.
Thanks
just checked mike using your method. Found the level to be 30mm.

regards

Martyn

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes you can add a bit of Penrite.
In the old days when we used just grease, The box sometimes made a bad noise,
Because the grease threw away from the gears,
We added a spoonful of thick oil, Job done = Like a new box :D .

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As I have said previously quite sometime ago, once you hear the screech surely the damage has already been done, of course put some oil in before any more damage occurs, but you will not reverse the damage done.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the old Burman can take a bit of Stick,
I have been a bit rough with mine, The worst I had was breaking the Big bearing housing ,
But a weld up and new bearing and still going 20 years on !.