G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman gears

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear all,
do you have any advice on what should be periodical maintenance on Burmag gears for my Comet?
I notice oil level for primary chain is low (not at bolts level), which oil tipe should I use to fill?
Below oil level bolt there is another bolt bigger with prints on the heat, what is it about? Is it for drain the oli?
On the other side there are all the gears, should I fill with grace?
How much ?
Type?
How to know right level?
Thanks

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Semi fluid grease in the RH gearbox filler, some use grease followed by oil ordinary grease flings out and the gears get dry
the big question is how to check when any replenishment is required

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Engine oil, In the primary, small hole is the level, Bigger one just below =Drain.
Don't overfill or clutch slip and oil leaks.

No maintenance on the gearbox,
One and a quarter inches from the bottom, Thin long screw driver close to outside edge of the filler hole,
If using semi fluid leave it to settle,
Most boxes don't have a drain plug, I like the semi stuff, You can get tubs of it via VOC spares.
Its Ok to have a little thick oil as well.
Maybe warm up the semi to get it in the hole .
Good Luck, Bill.

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Engine oil, In the primary, small hole is the level, Bigger one just below =Drain.
Don't overfill or clutch slip and oil leaks.

No maintenance on the gearbox,
One and a quarter inches from the bottom, Thin long screw driver close to outside edge of the filler hole,
If using semi fluid leave it to settle,
Most boxes don't have a drain plug, I like the semi stuff, You can get tubs of it via VOC spares.
Its Ok to have a little thick oil as well.
Maybe warm up the semi to get it in the hole .
Good Luck, Bill.
Bill,
Type of oil (for the engine too) 10W40?
Monograde?
Mineral?
Semisinc?
How ofter I need to replace that oil?
Thaanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I use 30 single grade but I think 10/40 will do, I don't change it , Depends if you have had clutch trouble,
When ever you have the case off you will need to refill , So that's Ok with me.
Some people get engine oil leaking INTO the chain case, So it's a matter of keeping the level right.

If the Bike has been standing, Don't forget to drain the sump, A lot of Vin's , Wet Sump over Winter ?.
Cheers Bill.

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I use 30 single grade but I think 10/40 will do, I don't change it , Depends if you have had clutch trouble,
When ever you have the case off you will need to refill , So that's Ok with me.
Some people get engine oil leaking INTO the chain case, So it's a matter of keeping the level right.

If the Bike has been standing, Don't forget to drain the sump, A lot of Vin's , Wet Sump over Winter ?.
Cheers Bill.
Indeed it has been stopped for a long time but now I restart it and drain the sump too.
I was thinning to install 1-way oil valve purchased several years ago from Conway.
Do you recommend it?
Will the oil pump strong enough for it?
How to verify?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ernesto, They are more trouble than they are worth, Some get air locks and tricky to drain, With it fitted.
Best to ride often !!.
Just before winter , With a Comet, " Vibrac " Told us to pull the bike back in gear against compression,
Before laying up, It worked for me for 2 years, No drain down !..

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ernesto, They are more trouble than they are worth, Some get air locks and tricky to drain, With it fitted.
Best to ride often !!.
Just before winter , With a Comet, " Vibrac " Told us to pull the bike back in gear against compression,
Before laying up, It worked for me for 2 years, No drain down !..
Thanks Bill,
I'll save that you :)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Getting semi-fluid grease in use and old silicon/mastic gun, take the piston out, clean any remaining silicon out and refill fit a new nozzle and pump it in.

1598821283689.png

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
For 20 years or so I've been using John Deere Corn Head grease in a couple of implement gearboxes as well as Crawler tractor track rollers and at least one machine gearbox in the millwork shop.
It is a soft semi liquid grease that becomes liquid when warmed.
It's especially useful in a gearbox that struggles to hold gear oil.
The grease won't run out thru the seals and gaskets as it stays semi-liquid there but lubricates gears and bearings as well as an extreme pressure gear oil.
It has stood up well in a bush hog gearbox that has about 100 HP going through it, sometimes continuously for hours, so I think it would be fine in a Comet gearbox.
Comes in a regular grease gun tube.

Glen

Screenshot_20200830-152348.png
Screenshot_20200830-152323.png