Burman Gearbox

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorry Don, at this distance in time I can't recall what the box was packed with but I do remember the owner telling me that the box had been professionally overhauled. P.Richardson mentions "Gearboxes lubricated in this manner(grease) are known to have developed a screeching noise which can easily cured bythe addition of 1/2 pint of engine oil" This suggests that the layshaft bushes had been known to run dry even when the bikes were in production.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Oil

Just back from a fruitless visit to Halfords and the local Car spares shop. shelves are stacked high with a plethora of modern oils and fluids, very expensive synthetic stuff and with loads of car specific variants. Nothing suitable for me though.

Plenty of Morris stuff on their web site but not easy to purchase locally. Therefore I have just used the VMCC site at http://www.vmcc.net/vmccshop/scripts/castrol.asp?cat=11 to purchase some 140 gearbox oil (type D I think the man said when I informed him of the application) plus a few cartons of Spheerol for the gear box. Also some 5w fork oil for the primary chaincase..... hope my clutch likes it.

The Castrol man was extremely helpful and efficient. Orders over 30 quid are shipped free. Would be nice for the VOC to get a similar deal (in the UK) .........certainly there is justification for sections to lay in stocks of the right oils for local consumption.

Vic

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Spheerol.

Hi Vic,
I could have saved you a trip to the shops, I have Spheerol in stock at £4.00 a tub.

Russ

Robert Watson

VOC Member
"""The Castrol man was extremely helpful and efficient. Orders over 30 quid are shipped free. Would be nice for the VOC to get a similar deal (in the UK) ..........."""

That would mean (to maintain the profit level) that prices would all rise slightly to cover the cost, and orders being shipped out of the UK would still pay the shipping costs, meaning that the non UK members would be subsidising the domestic Members. When Editor I pushed for, and established that the rates for MPH included air postage everywhere in the world, therefore not making us non UK types not feel like second class citizens. If you want free shipping, then we all should get free shipping and I don't think you want to pay the price increase that would incur!! Postage everywhere - and I think more so International postage has become increasingly expensive. My last purchase from VOCSC was for a new silencer, two Burman kickstart shafts with lock washers, and tool tray with no slider. The Postage was GBP73.30 - almost 30% of the value of the order. Not whining here, just pointing the inequity if domestic shipping was to be paid!

Cheers

Robert

timetraveller

VOC Member
I did not read Vic's piece as suggesting that the VOC paid for anything. Just that members of a local section might want to get together to make a bulk order to reduce their costs. I think that is what we are here for, to help each other. :)

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Good morning everyone,

I think I will start a new thread (or two) soon but thought I'd summarise current progress in preparing my bike for my French trip in June/July.

After following Ron Kemp's instructions in KTB for adding oil at every orifice following an engine rebuild, my Comet started very easily and runs perfectly with its very quiet Maughan engine. I always find it exciting to start a bike after a major restoration.

The gear box and clutch worked perfectly before I dismembered the bike over the winter. Now the clutch is awful....... I've tried everything but it still drags excessively. I will start a new thread to stimulate the documentation of our shared knowledge base on this but first I have a few more things to try out.

The front brake is still not good enough so I will follow the very detailed instructions given in the excellent MPH article this month.

Lastly the electrical system will not charge. I have been plagued with charging problems on my Rapide for several years. Earlier this week a colleague in the Aldershot section was hit with electrical problems and now Stuart Metcalfe has also hit problems. I think this merits a separate thread on Miller 6/12v charging systems to add to the data base.

Vic

PS A really enjoyable result of this forum is the many calls I have recently received providing encouragement and advice and also from new Vincent owners seeking basic help and advice.