G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman Gearbox Sealing

Richarry

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Phil. I have what you need in stock. I can send you a seal kit that replaces the STD setup. Give me the nod if you want me to send it.

Regards,
Russ

Hi Russ
Don’t know if you can help me but I am looking for a seal and bearing for a burman H gearbox
Regards
Rich

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The
In the middle of doing this to the Two pre war BAP boxes.
1) Peter's bearings plus an external seal fitted to the drive bearing
2) Lay shaft and selector shaft fitted with blind hole bushings so no need for the little tin plates
3) Shorten the k/start shaft outer bush by 1/8 and bore the outer cover to 15/16" X 1/8 deep and fit a CR seal
4) On the CO 54 (gear selector shaft bushing in outer cover) fit an internal O ring
5) CO 90 (Control spindle) fit an external O ring
6) Haven't got to the clutch push rod yet

I think that plugs all the holes. Assemble meticulously

Fill with 80-90 gear oil

Pray

Robert
Top-hat bushes on the ends of the layshaft must be "Oilite" type material, as must the two bushes in the output sleeve gear through which the mainshaft runs. If you use phosphor-bronze here you'll seize the gearbox. Same story with G16 bushes in Twin gearboxes. I've seen the result of this error; it wasn't pretty and could have been fatal. The two bushes on the layshaft itself which carry the free-spinning 1st. and 2nd. gears are phosphor-bronze. These bushes do not appear on early gearboxes from what I've seen.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
and give the oilite bushes a play of at least 0,1mm
therefore i did close up the whole prewar A. box oiltight, filled with oil and made scrolls on the layschaft as the main has. did a chek while the plug at sprocket was off and it really pumps oil, now only how does it behave when oil is flying arround at speed.... so i filled it up to near the main axle.

hope it stays dry:p

RobGorLin

Forum User
VOC Member
Burman Gearbox Bearing - Sealed

Phil,
And/Or he could buy a new, fully-sealed, special SKF Burman drive bearing from me. (Not expensive). :)
I'm coming to the NA Rally and could bring one.
Peter B
Bristol, UK
Peter
Not sure if you still have these sealed bearings but I am looking for one
RobGorLin

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
P
Burman Gearbox Bearing - Sealed

Phil,
And/Or he could buy a new, fully-sealed, special SKF Burman drive bearing from me. (Not expensive). :)
I'm coming to the NA Rally and could bring one.
Peter B
Bristol, UK
Peter are these bearings still available as I am having a devil of a time in nz finding the right one. Would you be able to send me the part number via pm?

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks for the reply Robert. I bought one in the uk thinking it was the right part number but it was not the right ID. 35mm instead of 38.1mm I believe.

I think I might have to get an imperial bearing and have the OD ground to suit. Ideas gladly received.
Peter had them special made with Metric on the OD and imperial ID, and that offer was in a post dated 16 years ago. Let's see if he replies

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Not hard to machine with borazon CBN tip.
Fit in alu on the outside diameter interference fit of 0.02-0.03 then press against axial
So the inner does not spin anymore. 0.05 mm each pass at 100- 200m/min cutting speed.
Not a thing for any lathe...