G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Burman Drive Sprocket Loose

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If the new sprocket has any backlash at all on the shaft spline it will loosen the nut and the sprocket will hammer back and fourth.........There must be something like this happening for this to keep repeating itself. It is certainly showing no signs of this on the input shaft spline.
Sage Advise - If it happens again I will replace the 33 Tooth Drive Gear PR50-15BA as well

nkt267

VOC Member
Just picked myself up off the floor after seeing the price of a replacement Drive Gear!
And not in stock. I stripped a BAP yesterday on a Comet I'm doing for a friend and half of 6 teeth on 15BA are missing,sifting through the grease to see if there are any bits in there now. luckily i found a good one in my boxes of miscellaneous gearbox bits..John

nkt267

VOC Member
Well, if anyone wonders if semi fluid grease gets to every part of a Burman gearbox, having just spent 2 hours cleaning it out, IT DO.
No lumps of metal found from the damaged gear, but if you like metal coffee i can supply lots of 'grounds'.
I had a thought about worn splines and loose sprockets. If a replacement output gear is not available would an epoxy repair like JB weld or Loctite 660 do till a part became available.
I know that this is ok for keyways. I would certainly try it on my bike if i had to. The tricky part would be in making sure that the epoxy would not get into the gap between the output gear and the bearing spacer. Lightly oiling the sprocket 'should' stop the sprocket sticking to the epoxy..

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I hate to say this but I have done it, if your sleeve gear splines are shot get a new sprocket and tighten it up and weld it to the nut and the nut to the shaft. When you eventually get a good shaft you can cut the welds off and get the old one out. Obviously, the weld needs to be done and cooled as fast as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Not showing a part number for the mainshaft output gear in the stock list.John

The Draganfly part # is 3080-34 ; and they do have stock. Attached is the Draganfly cross-list for Burman part numbers

Attachments

• BurmantoAriel.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 50

nkt267

VOC Member
The Draganfly part # is 3080-34 ; and they do have stock. Attached is the Draganfly cross-list for Burman part numbers
Thanks Martyn..When you type the part No you gave into the search box it comes up. When I looked at the parts diagram for BA boxes the output gears were shown but not listed in blue, where stock levels and price are found, which is why I assumed they were not in stock..