burman comet box

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You should be a little more specific.
Pre War? Post War? and we assume for a Vincent.

Do you have the old one, as it will have casting numbers and mark numbers on it, and you may find several other machines used the same piece.

More detail, more chance of finding one

Robert

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
According to my files, the Burman part number should be -3BA for the inner cover or "kickstart case", as Burman described it. I believe that it is the same as the part fitted to CP-type gearboxes. The only variation I recall, offhand, is that the hole in the lug through which the clutch cable passes is threaded on some non-Vincent-HRD 'boxes for cable adjustment whereas the hole is plain-bored on postwar BAPs fitted to Comets etc to accept a split ferrule, the cable having an in-line adjuster.

To summarise, the Burman part number should be cast in relief somewhere on the inner case.

PK

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
A pleasure. Good luck with it. Here are some BAP images. As far as I can see, the BAP 'box is essentially the same as the heavyweight B52 'box, except for the main gearbox case, which was exclusive to Vincent-HRD.

PK

Attachments

• BurmanBAP1.jpg
    BurmanBAP1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 34

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
255158431_o.jpg

You probably have a copy of this factory drawing but it explains the whys and wherefores of the shape of the BAP 'box as fitted to Meteors and Comets, with the slotted lug on the bottom for primary chain adjustment.

PK

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I just went and looked at a prewar box I have apart and it is a 3BA and then Mark twelve. This is done with an M over a line umder which is XII. So now you know there are at least 12 variations of a 3BA. I'm not sure if the post war is the same mark number. Like I said before you need to find one apart to check it for the mark number.

Robert

Attachments

• 3BA M XII kickstart hsg1.JPG
    3BA M XII kickstart hsg1.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
If you look in the Vincent parts book for part no PR50-3BA - Kickstart case, in the remarks column there is 3BA16.
As I have found recently Burman’s numbering system was to keep the same part no 3BA for the same item and add a Mark no. to each variation. Like Vincent doing /1, /2 etc.
Unfortunately most parts lists don't list the Mark no. only the part no. So if you go to look in Ariel's list it may have a 3BA but it might be a Mark 14.
Ian S
Red, see you at Stafford, find me on the VOC stand.