Burman Clutch

tim welsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone help with the clutch drum on my comet (its done the "splits"!!).
I've seen previous notes on the Conways conversion, but wondered if there was a (cheaper?) alternative?
Anyone selling new drums?(are they all the "later" type now?) Any Matchless/Panther drums fit? Can you convert the old style eared plates to fit the later drum with a bit of judicious filing?
So many questions!!
Thanks all.

nkt267

VOC Member
I had the same problem on the island.The top plate actually turned and jammed the clutch.Still managed over 90 down the mountain:D.The VOC spares co have clutch baskets of the new type,(cheapest method)plates can be got NEW at auto jumbles from as little as £4.50 each.One of our section members has a Conway clutch and he says that it is perfect.No grab or slip and no gear crunching even from cold,BUT not cheap (call colin for a quote and sit down at the same time).I'm going to go that route myself when the pennies allow.See thread for alternative Comet Cutches..John http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314

Last edited:

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
What to do?

Tim, I put a Conways conversion on my Comet in 2003 and never looked back. The bike is now getting thrashed up and down the coast road in CA by Justin so with luck he will pick up this thread and let us know how it is working.

Russ

BTW. Ron has one on his 90mm back lanes Comet and that goes like a Twin :p

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Conway's clutch

Tim,

Don't think about it, buy one today!
Both my dad and myself run them on our Comet's (dad's is 600, mine is a Vinparts 90 bore) and they both go like stink, no real problems, no hassle in installing it.

Neil:D:D

rapcom

VOC Member
Conways Clutch

I too have a Conways clutch conversion on my Comet, and I have not touched it since the day I put it in, except to put in lighter springs. It is better than the Burman, and has cush drive rubbers in the back. I'm totally happy with mine, and for most of its life I've been hauling a sidecar as well.

Rapcom

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Thanks all;
looks like an unanimous vote for Conways . Xmas is coming so I'll have to buy myself a present!:)

minivin

VOC Member
Yep, 12k miles of Conway clutch use. Heavy launches, thrashes down the motorway at 90mph, single finger clutch lifting et cetera et cetera. I've also fitted one onto a mates bike and he loves it after the original was too far gone (and also fitted one onto Richard Adams Comet).:cool:

durham hartley

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Tim
Conway Motors have a good basket belonging to me.Unfortunately it needs a sprocket as it was used on my Honda conversion. I've spoken recently to Colin Jenner and he says that he hasn't disposed of it. If you need it give him a call but please don't aquire it to keep as a spare as someone in a similar position as you may be able to use it.

Good luck,

Keith Hartley (durhamhartley)