Burman Box for Grey Flash Replica

yuvijasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, am busy with a Grey Flash Replica project and am looking for a Burman Gearbox. would be great if any one has one to sell or can point me in the right direction to try and get one.

Cheers,
Yuvi

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Yuvijasti my handsome, if you are building a replica your really ought to try getting an Albion G/box as that is what was fitted.plus a couple of other special bits.

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I could be wrong, but as well as the A.J.S. "7R" type gearbox on one early Flash, and the Albion gearbox on most, the Burman B A R which is a rare animal, was used. I believe this is the type most similar to what TT Industries produces. A neighbour of mine picked up a complete B A R gearbox for $80 at a swap meet. Some folks are born lucky!

vibrac

VOC Member
I find the Albion box far far better than I expected on the move it smooth as silk but I think one of the contributing factors is that I have a newby clutch and a belt drive.
The only hard bit is remembering to select neutral before you stop otherwise it chalenging

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you tried a longer gear lever ?, I think it would give you more Feel/Leverage ?.
I have gone the other way, On my Burman, I have bodged up a short Chrome One,
It may make the gear change quicker ?. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think its a 'feature' of the Albion, note all the old Royal Enfield chuffers with a neutral selector lever- (its that little flat lever above the gearchange on a 50's RE road box)
I pinched one off an old RE box to fit on my reclining armchair operating lever shaft when the plastic lever broke!

yuvijasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yuvijasti my handsome, if you are building a replica your really ought to try getting an Albion G/box as that is what was fitted.plus a couple of other special bits.
Thanks Marcus: I tried looking for an Albion and am lost with which model etc... can a Royal Enfield pre-unit Gearbox shell be used? By replacing the gears with close ratio set super plied by Hitchcock’s and source a period looking cover?