Burman Bap Model

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello,

I come here delivery of Britbike forum.

I need help to reconogize the model of this gearbox....

some weeks searching info And ask, and search, and ask, and more search, and nothing.....

I don´t know if it is the apropiate forum because it´s for Vincent machines, I hope no one gets angry.
But I'm a little desperate in this moment.

this Gearbox come in my Ivory Calthorpe 500, but I can´t find the gearbox and I can´t find any Caltorphe with this gearbox...

Thanks very much and regards of Spain!!!!

2qulyqq.jpg

2dlrayp.jpg

6f09bl.jpg

2wdozv9.jpg

29xirn8.jpg

qx58b8.jpg

2z9gp61.jpg

wiuesh.jpg

2gsix7b.jpg

33aqlip.jpg

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It looks like the one I swapped to Viny4 to use on his Vee 4 AJS... It's from a 1935-38 AJS/Matchless.
Cheers, John

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It looks like the one I swapped to Viny4 to use on his Vee 4 AJS... It's from a 1935-38 AJS/Matchless.
Cheers, John

Hello John,
thanks for the info, my english it´s limited.... what is "Viny4" and "Vee"..... ( I can´t translate it )

My Calthorpe it´s of 1937 and mount a BAP gearbox, only difference is the external cover and the extrange foot selector change of the firsts photos...
1935-38 it´s ok, it´s the original of my bike or only this gearbox for AJS/Matchless?.
Regards
Guille
Picture of a 1937 Calthorpe.

2s79qc8.jpg

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The model number of this Burman gearbox must be BAPDH.

I have a 1931 Vincent that has a Burman 4 speed BAPH gearbox. It looks very similar to your gearbox but has an external positive stop foot change mechanism.

My answer is referring to the earlier gearbox pictures and not the later 1937 Calthorpe gearbox.

Thanks, for the info....
My gearbox have a external foot change mechanism, please view first and second photo......
It´s possible some photo of your gearbox to compare the diferences?

regards of Spain

Guille

Last edited:

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's nice!
Was it made with the D shaped washer at the end of the footrest or have you been letting Don Morris or Peter Volkers ride it?

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member

Thanks, thanks, thanks...... the mechanism selector in my gearbox are diferent.... likes earlier or not original, next week I clean the gearbox and the external selector and insert photos...
Nice nice gearbox.... and fantastic motorcycle... I will continue dreaming ... Maybe in future I can get a Vincent ....
Now I am finishing a 496cc Dunelt of a friend .... I don´t like the painting, but the owner it´s lovely....
Don`t be alarmed, I'm very disorderly ...

33pa96p.jpg

Last edited:

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You do not look disorderly to me and the Dunelt looks to be progressing well.

My foot change mechanism is original. My father owned the bike from 1932. I have seen a 1931 500 Cotton with the same engine, gearbox and front forks as fitted to my (Dad's) Vincent.

Regards

Dave

Please sorry for my english it´s bad.... my foot change mechanism it´s diferent and possible no original... your foot change it´s original 100%.....

I need to study more english!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

audasti

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I modified the response so that no misunderstandings.

thanks very much .....

Now I need to clarify whether the box is of my Calthorpe.

Thanks for all and I will not intrude more, next week insert the photos of the gear box clean,

Anyone know of any specific forum or know about Calthorpe?

regards

Last edited: