Building a Vincent completely from VOC Spares Co?

Chinorlz

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi guys!

I'm a total newbie but have fallen hard for the incredible form and design of the Vincent bikes. I've done some tinkering on newer bikes such as the sx650 as well as have experience with vintage car restoration and would love to take on the creation of a Vincent.

With originals (running or not) being a bit harder to find at reasonable prices than I expected, I was wondering if anyone has spec'd out a list of all the parts you'd need to build a Vincent using all brand new components from the VOC Spares Co? I know it was done at least once as a proof of concept but I've not heard more about it since.

I imagine approaching the construction of it almost like a kit if I was able to go straight down a list and order everything and also had documents on how everything comes together. Certainly cost would be something that an estimate of would also be nice.... to know what I may be getting myself into.

I tried doing many searches on the forum but could not come up with a similar thread inquiring about this... apologies if my searches were inaccurate.

Thanks in advance fellows. I'm incredibly envious of all of your originals on here and admire the passion you have for Vincents and the history that surrounds them!

Best,
Albert

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I recollect that the cost of parts for "the new Series C Black Shadow" was around £35,000. This was for parts as original where available. An Alton was fitted since no new dynamos have been made for a while. I think too it had a BT-H "magneto". It was built by Glynn Johnstone, who advertised (or advertises still) in MPH, and who was prepared to build them to order - presumably charging for his labour in addition.

Chinorlz

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you guys for the additional info in regards to cost. That helps out a lot.

It sounds like it would be realistic in terms of cost to build one over time provided I could generate a list of required parts. I'd likely not want to build the engine from scratch if possible and just install/build around it. Do the manuals/books on the VOC Spares Co site have lists/diagrams of all the parts by name/number in exploded view like the technical section of this site?

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
Try contacting the VOC Spares Co. They have recently supplied a kit of parts to Glyn J to build a machine for a customer, so they know exactly what you need. Next thing you should do is join the VOC where you will meet lots of people who can advise you on how to put it together.

Tim

Chinorlz

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you Tim!
I'll be joining shortly as well :)

Great to know that VOC Spares essentially has a full parts list/kit available for purchase. I'd love to have everything all bagged and tagged ready to go and a stack of manuals and printouts so that I can get right to work.

Bracker1

VOC Member
Since your in Texas, check out the Herb Harris Collection. I think he is making 4 Shadows from bits. They might be of help if you undertake the project. Cheers, Dan

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Having (almost) done a new engine build for my Egli, from scratch, i feel i can share some (lots of) info on whats going to meet you around the corner. I (of course) first had a pair of crank cases from John Wyatt, that was a story of its own.. After a long struggle i retrieved most of my money, and got an other set of cases from a new supplier, and still faced lots of fitting issues, that meant lots of info retriving, and phonecalls. I am now in the last stages of build, and the number of fit issues is to long to go into here... But even "shining" manufacturers of vincent parts dont go clear of "not fit for purpouse"!.... I have had my cases to the local Rolls Royce factory (yes we have one in Norway) for precision measuring,(whith RR measuring certificates!) to find things, i have had new, warped covers etc. (List to long...) If i hadnt had lots of resources available i wouldnt have got any were.. I will not mention any suppliers, (apart from Wyatt) as most of them have tried to help.. but I really feel that if the manufacturing standards had been what they should, most of these troubles should have been unnecessary. I really think that the greatest problem/ challenge the Vincent comunity have, is to establish better standards for parts. Saying it this general, is done on purpouse, as im not saying this or that is the right way to make something, but there ought to at least be a minimum standard to whats beeing made. The funny thing is that when you mention a problem to someone they usually say: " ohh they all need that to be modified.."

Anyone wanting to build from scrath must be aware of these facts..

Dag Riise
Norway

B

Bikersally

I too used Wyatt cases. I had them delivered to the maughans and they did the bottom end / spindles etc. Only issue was the supply of new parts to have it completed. Start to finish around 5 months and I have some original and repro covers. Went together with very few issues.