Build a new bike (Gulp)

Rakmann

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all you fine fellows.....!

Ahh, I know this will not be popular, however I will never own the Vincent I have always lusted after if I don't make a move and I have concluded the only way I will achieve this result is thus.
To build it piece by piece:eek:

Please, be gentle.
I want to build a circa 1950 Black Shadow?

How/where/should I start?

I love this site!

Reg

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You have already started in the right place.
I would suggest you start attending your nearest section.
When the Club built a Shadow from spares the cost was somewhere around £30,000 a few years ago.
A lot of people have started with a basket case Comet and modified it at a later date (SWINES). The main frame,tank forks being identical.The rear mudguard,chainguard,footrests,battery carrier, exhaust. Oh and of course that 2 cylinder engine being different.
As most people who have built bikes will tell you, the cheapest way to get a restored bike is to buy it from someone who has already restored the bike and needs to sell it..John

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
in Australia you would have to pay 15 16 thousand dollars for a basket case comet a rapide 36 37 a shadow 50+ if you build from spares a rapide would be a least 50 thousand these are facts I would like to be found wrong

Last edited:

Rakmann

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Scary, however....

Thank you for your kind judgement and estimates.:eek:

Oh, btw, I meant to add to my comment "Fine fellows" the Ladies whom are members also!

I intend to start (I hope) with the engine/box & cantilever assembly.
Does anyone know if the supplier offers a complete engine, etc?
And which supplier?
Do I need to start with cases and what of the numbering with a bike born new?

Should 'Engine' and 'frame' numbers follow some clear guideline to identify it as a new machine?
I have no intention to be anything but honest with what it is.

Reg

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
you can buy new HRD or Vincent crank cases in the UK from VOC spares or Bob Culver, they came machined I think the price is 2,850 Pounds

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Just had a private message there will be for sale in Australia a 1200cc engine built from new crank case from the UK for $35000 it will not have a mag, dynamo, or carbys it will be for sale with in six months

vibrac

VOC Member
nkt267 is correct the VOC spares company can supply all the parts for a bike and there are plenty of people around to build it
cost?-it seems to keep pace with the prices for a good clean old one I guess 35-40K now
from new you would have to pass the governments SVA system and they wont like the way the standard footrests fold for a start....