Misc: Ignition BTH Magneto not sparking

Piston Pete

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all

I appear to have run out of sparks with my BTH electronic magneto. It was running fine at the weekend , but , alas , it appears to be dead. I have changed the coil and h-t lead ,to no avail. Fitting this was one of the first jobs I did when I got the Comet 12 years ago , and its been faultless for 40,000 miles.

Would anyone have any suggestions for testing it ? Or , if I take it off the Comet , is there any company that would test and repair this ? I see from the countdown to the International , there is 80 or so days before the rally ,so I need something turned around fairly quickly to allow re-fitting and road testing.

As ever , any help would be very much appreciated.

davidd

VOC Member
Yes. I would return it. It can get quite moist inside those ignition housings. It may be time for a tune-up. The one I installed in the racer in 2008 is still working, but pretty much the same age.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I cleaned out the rust in mine and it worked OK but I think sending it back is the easiest way as there not a lot of room in there for the wires
NB dont move the obvious screw at the front it doesn't hold the cap on

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Taking it off and sending it off seems the best option. There is no email address on the bth website, and there doesnt seem to be a "contact us " button.

Does anyone have a contact email / name ?

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Taking it off and sending it off seems the best option. There is no email address on the bth website, and there doesnt seem to be a "contact us " button.

Does anyone have a contact email / name ?
D'oh - i see the contact name/ number ......so it off to the garage tomorrow for a spot of magneto removal !

steve500

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Send it to BTH for service, no?

The original BTH co went out of business many years ago.
The current BTH co makes self generating electronic magnetos (I have 2 of them) and are most unlikely to know anything about our old 1950's models.
Steve500 IOM