BTH Cut-Out

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Michel
I found the wiring diagram which is a mixture of several different diagrams to work for the Miller / BTH combination.
For anybody else looking this is for a 1936-37 series A single that the factory fitted with Miller lights and a BTH mag generator. There was probably approx 50-100 bikes fitted with this combination.
BTH-Miller combined diagram.jpg
Simon

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear Simon,
Great, wonderful, beautiful ! Could you send it to me on my email address. I send it to you in PM. Do you come to the international rally in Belgium in 2019 ? If so, you will be entitled to one or more abbey beers if you like Belgian beers. I wish you an excellent weekend under the sun and driving your Vincent, of course :)

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Simon,
I followed your diagram and the electrical circuits worked perfectly. But you have to install a connection between the terminals n°5 and n°7. In the next few days, I install the BTH cutout but I already noticed that the BTH generator charges (very) weakly.
Thank you.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Michel
You should not need a connection between terminals 5 & 7. If you do then there is something different with your headlight switch. The speedo bulb and rear light bulb should be on a separate terminal to the pilot bulb and the switch connects them up depending on the switch position. Here is what each switch position should do on a series A single with Miller lights:

Off - no lights and no charging.
Ch - no lights and the battery charges through the charge resistor at a low rate.
Hi - Main headlight on, speedo bulb on, rear light on and charges full rate (resistor not been used). Note the pilot bulb is not connected or used in this position.
Lo - Speedo bulb, back light and pilot bulb connected. Note the main headlight is not connected in this position.

The above switch positions work exactly the same on series B & C bikes but as they have charging regulator on the dynamo and not a charging resistor then position 2 does nothing.

Simon

Michel

VOC Member
Simon, we agree.
Next step, replace the manual switch with the BTH cut-out.
Wait and see, as our English friends say.
Michel.

Michel

VOC Member
Hi everybody,
And that's it, the cut-out is in place and everything is working normally. Except that the cut-out has not closed yet because the battery is fully charged.

Michel

VOC Member
Hello Simon,
Considering the BTH generator, what is the capacity (Ampere / hour) of the battery 6 volts lead on your Comet and you advise ?
Michel.