• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

BTH Cut-Out

Michel

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Hi everybody,

Paul Richardson - Fig. 98 - Wiring Diagram Mag-generator Lighting Equipment

On this diagram under the switch is drawn a circle with the letters B D E F T.
I do not understand which electric accessory represents this circle ?
Thanks.
Michel.

vin998

VOC Member
It's the connection terminal on the back of the BTH headlight switch. As a note that wiring diagram is for the pre A machines and the 1935 series A's that used the BTH headlight and switch. When in 1936 Vincent went to Miller lights which had a switch which is similar to the series B&C headlight switch except it had a charge resistor. For a while these bikes with Miller lights still used BTH mag-Dynamo to use stocks up. I have never seen a "hybrid" wiring diagram of Miller lights & BTH generator so a bit of ingenuity is required.

Michel

VOC Member
This is an explanation that I like because it's been months that I try to understand how I will redo the connections of electrical circuits. In three weeks I go on vacation with my Comet Serie A. I will dedicate a few days to redo these connections. The BTH generator is restored and installed and I recently found the BTH cut-out and the right Miller switch (4 positions and his charge resistor).

Michel

VOC Member
I still ask the question and I try my luck. Maybe an other VOC member has encountered the same problem and would have drawn the right diagram. Maybe I'm dreaming but if it exists I thank him for sending me this right wiring diagram.
Thank you.
Michel.

Michel

VOC Member
"...Miller lights which had a switch which is similar to the series B&C headlight switch except it had a charge resistor."

And except it had a dynamo with regulator and not a generator, isn't. And this is why no diagram available in general documentation is correct.

vin998

VOC Member
Michel
My series A is exactly the same as yours as in it has Miller lights & Miller switches but a BTH mag-dyno and BTH cutout. I basically made up the wiring diagram to work as I think it should and so far it does. If I cannot find the diagram I will redraw it but give me a few days.

Simon

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Simon,
You would be my saviour because I am not very smart in this kind of electric exercise. And I'm afraid of doing something stupid.
Michel.

vin998

VOC Member
Michel
I found the wiring diagram which is a mixture of several different diagrams to work for the Miller / BTH combination.
For anybody else looking this is for a 1936-37 series A single that the factory fitted with Miller lights and a BTH mag generator. There was probably approx 50-100 bikes fitted with this combination.
BTH-Miller combined diagram.jpg
Simon

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Simon,
Great, wonderful, beautiful ! Could you send it to me on my email address. I send it to you in PM. Do you come to the international rally in Belgium in 2019 ? If so, you will be entitled to one or more abbey beers if you like Belgian beers. I wish you an excellent weekend under the sun and driving your Vincent, of course :)

Michel

VOC Member
Dear Simon,
I followed your diagram and the electrical circuits worked perfectly. But you have to install a connection between the terminals n°5 and n°7. In the next few days, I install the BTH cutout but I already noticed that the BTH generator charges (very) weakly.
Thank you.

vin998

VOC Member
Michel
You should not need a connection between terminals 5 & 7. If you do then there is something different with your headlight switch. The speedo bulb and rear light bulb should be on a separate terminal to the pilot bulb and the switch connects them up depending on the switch position. Here is what each switch position should do on a series A single with Miller lights:

Off - no lights and no charging.
Ch - no lights and the battery charges through the charge resistor at a low rate.
Hi - Main headlight on, speedo bulb on, rear light on and charges full rate (resistor not been used). Note the pilot bulb is not connected or used in this position.
Lo - Speedo bulb, back light and pilot bulb connected. Note the main headlight is not connected in this position.

The above switch positions work exactly the same on series B & C bikes but as they have charging regulator on the dynamo and not a charging resistor then position 2 does nothing.

Simon

Michel

VOC Member
Simon, we agree.
Next step, replace the manual switch with the BTH cut-out.
Wait and see, as our English friends say.
Michel.

Michel

VOC Member
Hi everybody,
And that's it, the cut-out is in place and everything is working normally. Except that the cut-out has not closed yet because the battery is fully charged.

Michel

VOC Member
Hello Simon,
Considering the BTH generator, what is the capacity (Ampere / hour) of the battery 6 volts lead on your Comet and you advise ?
Michel.