Brrrr ! Cold out there.

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Minus 7 on the car temperature display this morning.

I'm staying in the house.:)

Wonder how cold the Winter Pennine Rally is?

Alan J

VOC Member
Nobody has survived "the winter Pennine" to tell us!! Here in "sunny Northampton" it is minus 3-but no snow yet!:d:d

carlm

Non-VOC Member
Minus 15 C, snow and blowing snow here in balmy Horse Creek, Yukon. All welcome to the Shortest Day (or Longest Night- whatever your perspective) Rally, December 21.
Carl

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Nobody has survived "the winter Pennine" to tell us!! Here in "sunny Northampton" it is minus 3-but no snow yet!:d:d

A contingent from the Coventry section went to "the winter Pennine" by car. At least one Coventry member went by bike as I've had an email from Doug Squires and saying he went on his touring Rapide.
This is the bike that used to belong to ex Coventry member Barrie Howell. Doug bought the bike from Barrie's son-in-law. Doug loaned us the bike to put on our stand at the recent NEC Classic Bike Show. It got a Best of British award.
Barrie was due to have surgery a couple of days ago so everyone from the Coventry section sends their best wishes to Canada and hope that everything is well.

Last edited:

ET43

Non-VOC Member
My blood is too thin these days to do daft things like winter camping, but in 1989, Colin Manning, John Waltham and myself spent three nights in a tent at the Elephantreffen at Thurmansbang-Solla, just 10k from the Czechoslovakian border. The night time temperature was well below minus 20C. We all went on the red outfit, having travelled the 650 miles on the continent with comparative ease. The whole journey from my house (930 miles) took 22hours non stop. We even did it again the next year and that's when sanity stepped in. I applaud anyone who camped at the Winter Pennine. Cheers, ET43

Comet

VOC Member
Ok so my judgement was a little off the Mark at 20deg. Turns out it was -11 at 7:30 on Sunday morning. Stuart, thank you for the hot water:)
The gas froze, the water froze, I froze, Dave froze and even worse the mince pies froze. I was so glad they had a cafe just off the campsite.
Well done to all though, it was an interesting rally.
And in particular, well done to Stuart the only "real camper" there and on his twin as ever.

John Cone

VOC Member
Ever since this bad weather started lastweek, all my wife has done is stand stare through the window. If it carries on like this I will have to let her in!

Alan J

VOC Member
I spoke to "Stu Spalding" and said how brave he was to camp at minus 11 degrees!! He told me about a certain "Roma home" owner whose gas froze and was "tealess!" [petrol stoves are the best!!-"gasoline to our colonial friends!] Wish "Stu" well on the 14th of Feb when he has to endure another leg operation!