Brough Superior 680 OHV

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am looking up a very neat one.
This wknd. North of London

Apart from cylinder studs breakage, any more points to observe.
I more or less know nothing about them....

Hope it will be less learing curve as with Vinnie's.

Btw.
I hope the club condones my riding out, this time.

Cheers

oexing

VOC Member
Vincent, think twice about getting one of these ! I got some photos of the small JAP engine - well, great for a museum but really fragile in all components when used on the road and having decent fun.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vincent, how much are looking to spend? there is a Vincent owner in the West London Section selling Brough Superior SS80, it is currently with a dealer www.classicsuperbikes.co.uk with a detailed write up, I think reading between the lines it is a bitsa, but a nice bike none the less, but a bit overpriced at £128k

vibrac

VOC Member
Vincent, how much are looking to spend? there is a Vincent owner in the West London Section selling Brough Superior SS80, it is currently with a dealer www.classicsuperbikes.co.uk with a detailed write up, I think reading between the lines it is a bitsa, but a nice bike none the less, but a bit overpriced at £128k
Bitsa? I thought all BS were Bitsa's someone said the only thing George made was the tank (and pocket money for the press to give him good publicity :rolleyes: )

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Jim Connelly had a 680 Brough Superior with a copper plated petrol tank. It was very fast and ridden as if it was not fragile in the early 1980s.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Factory despatch matching numbers Tim, that is what defines whether it is a bitsa or not, not that George Brough slung a few bits together before despatch from the works.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
But this 680 looking the thing guys. And a 100 is about 300... Or ist that not proper English.
Not overpiced at Andy Tiernan.

But maybe thats the woring part.....

Flimsy engines yes.

So just ride it like a HRD.
Loud and fast.

Now the brakes, yes what about the brakes.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Jim Connelly had a 680 Brough Superior with a copper plated petrol tank. It was very fast and ridden as if it was not fragile in the early 1980s.

Did Jim Connelly live in Brighton/Hove in the late 60’s&70’s? Own a Brough Pendine, 48 Manx, other wondrous things..... and rode a Panther hack?

Piers Ottey

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
BS 680 is a great bike. Agile, light and fun. Unlike Vins they need plenty of slack on the bores then they do not blow up. They only go bang if you bore too tight or forget to turn the oil on. While it doesn’t have the power of a Rap it is MUCH easier to maintain , super reliable and good for 80. Ive run them for years. BS 680 and Vincent twin is the perfect pair in my humble opinion. The Tiernan one is ex Dave Clark so should be sorted.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Did Jim Connelly live in Brighton/Hove in the late 60’s&70’s? Own a Brough Pendine, 48 Manx, other wondrous things..... and rode a Panther hack?
Yes that is him. I think he lived with his brother Charlie who was equally mad on bikes. I don't know about the Panther hack, but the others you list are correct. They also had a Model 90 HRD and a Model 90 Sunbeam. Jim also at one stage had a road going Black Lightning, but that was before I knew them.