Broadford Bike Bonanza 2014

grahamsharrock

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Spent an enjoyable Easter Saturday at Broadford with my youngest daughter checking out the bikes and the on track action. Saw a bit more of the motocross track this year.
Terry Prince had his new alloy frame and swing arm on display with the engine out of his land speed racer in it. He had it set up with running gear from a ZXR10 on it. Created lots of interest.
Saw an interesting Rapide with Ikon shocks on the Girdraulics in place of the spring boxes and twin projector headlights where the damper usually sits. Coupled with the Thornton rear shock he said it has transformed the handling. Ikon made the shocks with stud mounts and he turned up the fittings to attach it to the spring box mounts. It's near the end of the photos that are attached.
It was good to catch with you Greg for a chat.
On a different note, I picked up my engine from Terry on Thursday night at Broadford. Happy Days. Made for 2, 4 hour round trips in three days. Not good for my stuffed back.

Anyhow, enjoy the photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108725580544790622790/albums/6004277508930936737

Second lot of photos of Terry Prince bike when I picked up my engine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108725580544790622790/albums/6004275353202359857

Cheers
Graham

greg brillus

VOC Member
Great photo's Graham, you certainly see some amazing machinery at Broadford, I will try and make it next year if I can. I see the Horners had their four valver there, I wonder how it sounds..? Good to see number 87 out there too, liked your close up pics especially of the magneto......See also the twin SR 1 Lucas mags on the speedway outfit, like I mentioned in an earlier post. The Rapide you mentioned is interesting, like you say with the suspension mods he has done. Cheers......Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That Terry has copied my Hand Gear change !! Cheers Bill.
003.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interesting looking bike Bill, you have obviously done a lot to it over the years, short front springs and all. What springs did it have before you changed them..? Was the rear wheel really that far out of balance, I wonder what causes it, you wouldn't think the tire or tube to be that far out would you....? :)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well Spotted Greg !, A lot of this bike is from my ex L/ning, I built the wheel years ago, It has never been good ! Bad Rim ? Or I am Useless !!. I had C springs in the front befor, But with all sorts of packing. I am not a good rider, Too big for a start !! But I had some good results if I felt right on the day. I had a very bad crash on the road, Not my fault, Just befor my first race, In 1970, Didn't think I would ride again, Tore my face up bad and had a plate in my head !!. Didn't think I could take another bang to the head, So have always had to ride a bit steady. But still getting a few miles in, When the sun shines !! Yours is looking good. Good luck , Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for the nice comments Bill, I really appreciate it. Your bike looks very well cared for, and modified along the way to suit your needs...Is that an ignition coil mounted under the seat....? And what have you got lurking in that odd little black box next to the battery...? I think having a bad crash whether on the road or track would never leave you, and I think our massive discussion on the Suspension thread was a real revelation, as I said in that thread, suspension is a bit of a grey area for most, and something we don't normally think of changes or big adjustments. Most people I know who have had a big one whilst riding a Vincent (with girdraulics) has mostly been due to a bad head shake. This is something Davidd experimented with and found a good solution to the problem without breaking the bank. I am really looking forward to running the racer and see what the handling will be like......I've actually really enjoyed the challenge......soon to be realized. Cheers. Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Greg, You don't miss much !!, The coil is one of two for electronic ign'. Black box is Regulator for Macdouglater, Super bit of kit from USA, Don't you love my spelling !!. My big first crash was not because of the bike ,It was some Kid in a car. My Big Off on the bike was many years later, As has been said, You can ride for many miles,Years with no trouble !Vin's like ribbed front tyres, When I had Red Arrows tyres, Ribbed front, The L/ning was a dream to ride, Wish they still made those tyres. All The Best, Bill.