Brighton speed trials

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now the jobs worths are turning against the Brigton Speed Trials :mad:
I expect everyone has a Vincent memory of this event
the oldest sporting motor event in the UK
words actually do fail me in this latest move against motor sport
I do not have a lot confidence in e-petitions but at least this one is direct to the local council -of course so as not to get too much democracy involved the decision will be made at the end of January

so log in and add your name :

http://tinyurl.com/qjtbmub

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
You have my backing although never experienced the event first hand, have enough fiddling to do keeping road bikes rolling, race bikes your at it all the time going by stories,
Happy Christmas to one and all,
bananaman

vibrac

VOC Member
I remember seeing Maurice Brierley on Methamon on Madeira drive. (I belive the Vincent is still alive and kicking) As is well known he only had one leg and at Brighton that year he had one leg of his leathers pinned up with an enormous safety pin he must have pinched from a big Scotsman's kilt.
His position on the start-line with his outfit was at 30 degrees to the track pointing at the crowd on the Left hand side.
When he dropped the plot it screeched off the line and with a spinning drive wheel fighting for grip the outfit rotated 30 degrees right and disappeared down the course.
Such great memories what a small minded pack of nambies want to close that venue down. Add your voice to the petition

http://tinyurl.com/qjtbmub

Last edited:

Alan J

VOC Member
Unfortunately a sidecar lady passenger was killed when I was there last year has this anything to do with it?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
And of coarse, Ian Ashwell, Years ago, When the DMD Fairing fitting broke, Not a track I would like to race on, Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I did the Brighton sprint several times many years ago. At one stage it was either a kilometer or half mile. There is plenty of space for slowing down so it should be a safe, if bumpy, track. I was there at the Ian Ashwell meeting and there is probably no way in which that kind of accident can be avoided. For those who are not familiar with the accident Ian was well up to speed when the brackets on his faring either broke or came loose and the fairing dropped onto the front wheel and jammed it solid. Ian was thrown into the air, as high as the lights along the sea front, and did not make it. The crash was so severe that it ripped the exhaust pipes out of the heads and the exhaust ports as well. A lady car drive was also killed when she did not shut off at the end. Whether the throttle jammed or she wanted to go out with a bang I do not know but certainly faster machined have found plenty of space to slow down. The accident last year when the female sidecar passenger was killed is still being enquired into so I cannot say anything but several members of the Kent and Sussex section have acted as marshal for the bikes at Brighton for many years and were acting in that capacity this year. Sprinting is about as safe a motor sport as it is possible to find and Brighton sea front makes an ideal course for all family members to spectate. The loss of the course would be a real shame, however there is also a strong local 'green' lobby' to contend with as well as the health and safety clowns.

vibrac

VOC Member
What blows my mind in relation to the 'green lobby' is the way they single out motor sport

Who complains about the millions of miles driven to football matches?
the floodlit golf driving ranges and football grounds?
You can think of many more worse non green activities I am sure

Truly the greens are a short sighted bunch without a clue really, using science when if fits their view without understanding the develpments that science brings to the problems every day and in the future.
I am always reminded of the "experts" who in the 1890's 'scientifically' drew some graphs and said that London would be 10 feet deep in horse poo by 1920

champion

VOC Member

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I signed up. The Saltburn hill climb was shut down by Saltburn council after many years. For those that may not know, Saltburn beach was used for very early world speed record events. It is now reinstated as an historic motor gathering but sadly no longer attracts the vintage sprinters of the two and four wheel variety. I still go every year on one of my bikes and take a run at the hill. It is well attended but it took a similar petition and support from local traders to get the compromise .