Brighton Speed Trials - 7/9/19

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any motorsport enthusiasts in the south east of England this weekend are warmly invited to come along to the Brighton Speed Trials on Saturday.

There will be three Vincents competing in the historic class, including Roy Robertsons beautiful Egli.

Additionally The VOC Kent and Sussex Section have organised a static display of racing Vincents, including Methamon, Brian Chapmans Mighty Mouse and Super Mouse, John Renwicks Epimethius and Dick Wheeldons Section Comet Sprinter + Grey Flash replica.

If anyone is attending on a Vincent, please contact me ASAP and I may have one spare ticket, due to an exhibitor pulling out yesterday.

Further details can be found here:

champion

VOC Member
A few photos from the Brighton Speed Trials Vincent display

Attachments

• Roy Brighton 2019.jpg
    Roy Brighton 2019.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Dick Flash 2019.jpg
    Dick Flash 2019.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0717.JPG
    DSC_0717.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0737.JPG
    DSC_0737.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0732.JPG
    DSC_0732.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 50

timetraveller

VOC Member
A few more Brighton Photos. The exhibit was a joint effort led by Alex Champion (Champion) and his father Paul. Several Kent and Sussex Section members helped on the day. Dick Wheeldon (North Kent Organiser brought down a 'gazebo' to house the exhibits while Paul Adams (Publicity Secretary) provided an array of canvas backed large photographs (very impressive). Brian Chapman (stalwart Vincent man and once world's fasted drag bike pilot), aided by his eldest son, provided Mighty Mouse and SuperMouse. John Renwick, aided by Eddie Wallbank provided Epimethius. I Roy Robertson, aided by Terry Martin, not only exhibited his Egli Vincent but also campaigned it on the day. Methamon was taken out of storage and shown on the day complete with the certificate from when it broke the World Speed record for three wheeler when piloted by the late Maurice Brierly. The North Kent Section showed their 500 sprint bike while Dick Wheeldon campaigned, and showed, his Grey Flash replica. Paul Champion's road bike was ridden to the meeting by his son and was the only road bike in the line up. An Egli Vincent twin with a green fairing was campaigned and shown by Mark Reynolds. If I have forgotten anyone then apologies. There was a continuous stream of
visitors over the day with the older ones mostly knowing about Vincents while the younger ones could learn. It was a successful display of Vincent sporting history and both the organisers of this exhibition and the organisers of the Brighton Speed Trials are to be congratulated for their time and hospitality.

P9080309.JPG

P9080310.JPG

P9080312.JPG

P9080311.JPG

Attachments

• P9080309.JPG
    P9080309.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hello Everybody. Unfortunately this years runs were marred by several problems. I had very recently fitted refurbished front discs and new pads and with no track time to bed them in, instead of locking the front wheel for the usual burnout for the practice run, I was unable to break traction. With a cold back tyre, the rear wheel just spun off the line resulting in an unusually slow time. See Utube. By applying the brake hard during the slowdown and on the way back, the pads started to bed in and hopefully, I thought, things would be back to normal for the two competition runs. On the first run the burnout was fine but the motor felt as bit "Fluffy". Slow off the line a misfire soon developed and it was another poor run. On the return the motor was on one cylinder and I was fortunate to get limp to the pits under power. Unfortunately the internal batteries in one of my usually super reliable Interspan ignition boxes had died so it was the end of my day. Checking back this unit had been serviced nearly nine years ago so perhaps I should have been expecting some problems. The other unit was serviced and updated only two years ago and in hindsight I should have had them both done. Such is Life! All the Best Roy

Comet

VOC Member
It is great to see that the day was a success. I wish I could have been there but unfortunately a certain other event had me out of the country. Well done all. Hopefully you will all get to repeat it next year, not you Roy, you wont want a repeat as such. Sorry to hear the speed gremlins played with your gubbins. Good luck for next time.