Bright Spark Magnetos

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Brother Bill and I are on the final stage of restoring a 'C' Comet. When it came time to fit the magneto which was in the box of bits, Bill noticed that it was a K1F but running in the wrong direction. As it had a Bright Spark condenser conversion we emailed Bright Spark Magnetos for some advice as to how easy it was to reverse it. Within an hour we received a telephone call from Bill Brown at Bright Spark who thoroughly explained what we needed to do and it was quite simple. He then followed it up with an email explaining it all again in case we got it wrong.
We would like to record a huge thank you to Bright Spark Magnetos for such excellent and speedy response to our query. There was no profit to them but we would not hesitate to use them for any magneto work and certainly recommend them to any one requiring real customer service. Thanks again !

Mikethebike

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've recently had a K2F rewound, and set up, by Brightspark magnetos, and the service and detailed information I received from Bill Brown were exceptional.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I've recently had a K2F rewound, and set up, by Brightspark magnetos, and the service and detailed information I received from Bill Brown were exceptional.
Did it take long Mike, Last I was told, If you wanted them to do the work it had to go to France ?. Cheers Bill.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think that anyone who is any good with Mags has a long lead time, I have had a Scintilla rebuilt for my twin and a Lucas for my Comet, by a chap at Bicester heritage he still has a twin Lucas to do as a spare for me.
He says that he now dosn't advertise for work as he has as much as he can cope with and the margins are so small it isn't economical to take on and train anyone.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think that anyone who is any good with Mags has a long lead time, I have had a Scintilla rebuilt for my twin and a Lucas for my Comet, by a chap at Bicester heritage he still has a twin Lucas to do as a spare for me.
He says that he now dosn't advertise for work as he has as much as he can cope with and the margins are so small it isn't economical to take on and train anyone.
That's why I like the idea of the Thorspark, As long as you have a good charging, You don't have to take the mag apart, I have a few "D" distributors now so I hope I won't need anything, But you never know !. Cheers Bill.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
Did it take long Mike, Last I was told, If you wanted them to do the work it had to go to France ?. Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill. Yes, it did go to France, and took nearly 6 weeks, with 'about a dozen' ahead of it in the queue. They have a very informative website - didn't know how much I didn't know about magnetos!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
We've had five mags done by Ken Target & Eastligh, but sadly died suddenly, Bill Brown his partner now does them and Patrick Godet recommends him too.

Phil_d

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I needed my magneto rewinding and after reading the posts above recommending brightspark I decided to use them. The communication from them was first class and they turned it around in 8 days, rewound, remagnitised, reshimmed with new slip ring, new points and an easy cap capacitor for £264 including insured return post.
It's now back on my bike and starts 2nd kick from cold and 1st kick when warm.
All in it took 15 days from dropping it off at the post office to having it back on the bike!