"Bright Spark Easy Cap"

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have an internal capacitor in my mag..its the second one in 60 years mind you, so they aren't really that reliable..

john998

VOC Member
Hello, The easycap comes with very good instructions, it's a few sleeps back but I don't remember having to disassemble the armature you can disconnect the old capacitor while it is in one piece.
As far as original capacitors go the one on my solo has been faultless for more that 50 years, this mag was fitted in 1961. I feel that Lucas improved the quality of the capacitors in there later units. If we could get capacitors with the correct physical and electrical characteristics like the later Lucas item this would be the ideal.
Pre war BTH capacitors would fall apart if you removed them they appeared to be a lose pile of mica and silver paper, but still highes quality than Lucas.

John.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Tho I may be nuts I still recall boosting a weak magneto output with an external condenser connected to a kill button end cover , it's can grounded . Better starting and running than before , easily done in minutes at very low cost . I was poo pooed when I first mentioned it here , but still the memory remains , done in the 50s . Anyone else done this ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have tried it without success. Having had my original Comet stop on me a couple of times (probably on its third mag in my ownership) I wired a capacitor through the kill wire to an earthing switch and rode until the mag got hot enough for the sparks to fail. When the engine stopped I flicked the switch to connect the external condenser and rolled to a stop. About 45 minutes later I was able to restart the engine and ride home. I believe that it is only a solution if the condenser fails in a particular way, presumably going open circuit rather than going short circuit. Had I been running an EasyCap, and carrying a spare, I'd have been able to get going more quickly. As they were not an option at that time I bought a used Lucas Rita setup on eBay and fitted that instead.

Last edited:

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Sid,
I have tried mounting an external capacitor to test if the internal one is not operating after reading a Jacqueline Bickerstaff article in Another Ten Years (page 121), and found, as expected, it will do the trick. A good cheap 'get you going again trick' even for we non tech. folk, especially if a cut-out cap is fitted to the mag.
Col.