"Bright Spark Easy Cap"

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Marcus,
I closed the thread because it was turning into a slagging match..I thought that that everything useful that could be said, had been said.

I am very interested, ( and I know that others share this interest) in your experience with the "BrightSpark" condensor..does it work?..how long does it work for - does it die every fortnight, or does it last for a year?.Have you had any problems with it?..is it 100% reliable?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Secondly Ian,, Ken Horner is the Aus Start Engineer that makes wonderful starters for much larger engines than ours,,also an old friend of our engine designer P.E.Irving. The "Irving Vincent" creator, when the "know hows" get on with the "can dos" look what can be achieved.
Ken Target is the "Bright Spark" man,!

Sorry - my mistake - should engage brain before operating machinery!

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Anyone have direct experience with a BrightSpark easy cap?..I was hoping to have a few people relate their experiences with this product..

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Bob,

In the middle of Marcus' long post he says " and of course a "Bright Spark" Condenser under the contact breaker unit. Received Saturday morning and fitted ready to take her indoors for a ride on Sunday, to date 1300 miles"

So "Old Harry" is running on an EasyCap and therefore many VOCcers will get to experience starting and riding a bike with one fitted.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I will be very interested to read reports on it..How well does it work and for how long..I am about to turn 60 and see at least 20 more years of riding so I have a vested interest..

b'knighted

VOC Member
Fitting the first one probably involves less hassle than replacing a standard pattern condenser, and is probably more economical.
Even if the EasyCap then only lasts a year but can be replaced by the roadside without disturbing the magneto, for the cost of a tankful of fuel, it must be worth while. Provided the shelf life of the spare that you stick in the tool tray exceeds the life of the one fitted under your points, it has to be a worthwhile modification. If it proves to have too short a life, like the professional rebuilds that magnetoman experienced, the magneto can be rebuilt to standard at some later date. If no one has one fail yet they cannot predict how long it will work for but I do know that, while working, the mag will be at least as good as it was with the standard original condenser.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This thread has took a wrong turn, You should be asking, Who has had one fail !! Info' on this repair first came to us via AJS/Matchless Club, Have we got some one who belongs to that club ? Cheers Bill.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Not a lot of use but I fitted one to a twin mag, the mag was modified to suit, not rewound, not re magnetized. Run in the lathe it produced a good spark at all revs across a dual gap tester. Unfortunately not tried on a bike.
This must be worth a try as it looks to be next to impossible to get an internal capacitor to stand the heat, and electrical nasties. If you get 5k out of it you are ahead as it is replaceable by the road side. John.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi John,
Did you deal with the failed original condenser yourself? Was it easy to isolate/short out the original or did you have to disassemble the whole armature?