brian verrall. ex tooting / sussex dealer

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i did mention a while ago about brian passing away but it seems no one picked up on it, He had my series "b" up for sale for me a few years ago, but i changed my mind after 2 weeks and phoned him to say i was coming to fetch it, he had people interested in it! but he just said come down when you like "i will have the coffee pot on and biscuits ready" no fuss or phoney claims or making you feel guilty etc, and i spent the afternoon looking over his private collection, bikes -rolls royce -morgans etc,all in de-humidified garaging at his house and indeed some posters on his walls in the house, and i had only met him twice previously! he was nothing but a gentleman with tremendous enthusiasm for vehicles. Now his collection is "up for sale" at bonhams auction house in london this summer and his Series "A" Rapide is there ,estimate at £150K i expect he will get a mention in several magazines and justifiably so a true enthusiast, I did try to buy a morgan off him , " what do you want one of them for" He said "whats it like to ride in, " I replied " like being strapped to a bed and beaten with barbed wire" was his reply. no sale then just great laughter!

rapcom

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Verrall's

I noticed yesterday while driving past Verrall's shop in Handcross, that the freehold for the shop, and flat above, is for sale. The business is still running under the guidance of Brian's old staff, Gordon and Ian, and still lots of nice stock for sale, including a JMR Egli twin.

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
verralls

thanks for that "rapcom" i have not been down past the shop for some time. I was sure that brian told me it would all carry on after him in Ians care ,but if its for sale then things have changed, very sad if it all went like many of the old bike shops. barry.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Verrall's

thanks for that "rapcom" i have not been down past the shop for some time. I was sure that brian told me it would all carry on after him in Ians care ,but if its for sale then things have changed, very sad if it all went like many of the old bike shops. barry.
Sad indeed, I think Verrall's was one of the very few dealers who left the vendor & buyer happy. Not like some dealers we could all name.........

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
verrall / dealer

Yes albervin i totally aggree, he would just take the bike back at no cost to you or spend loads on it to get it right, but he was a "proper dealer" and had pride and a reputation to consider and wanted to do return business, not just a hit and run! But a dealer is in the firing line when it goes wrong and the word gets out very quickly! But if you are a closet dealer hiding in the small ads of club mags etc and have a day job ( oh! i am not a dealer) and use your wile to "talk" a bike from someone ,then away you go "the man with no name" i find that amazing. they should be named and shamed at least!