Brexit and spares?

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Extra costs asked by carriers to cover the new paper workload they now have can't be attributed to the virus Colin. A friend just paid about 17€ for 20£ worth of parts plus custom charges!
Thanks to Brexit I'm afraid many suppliers of British bikes parts will see their incomes reduced as many will find cheaper and faster to buy from companies based in Europe.

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There have been delays to parcels in both directions (out of and into the UK) for approximately 3 months now. I send parts from the UK to various countries most days and there doesn’t seem to be a single reason for the delays, it seems to be a combination of things. I’ve recently sent one parcel to Christchurch, New Zealand which arrived so quickly the buyer emailed to tell me he couldn’t get things from other parts of NZ that quickly! However, another parcel direct to Auckland took nearly 4 weeks.
The inconsistency in delivery times can be slightly frustrating but the customs forms aren’t a huge burden, and I’m sure things will sort themselves out in the future.
Andy Davenport
Vincent Parts supplier

timetraveller

VOC Member
Andy, I'm glad you do not find the customs form a burden. I now have to put a customs classification number on parts sent out of the UK. The provision of these parts is a hobby for me just, to try and help fellow Vincent owners. Before I could just put 'parts for 1950 motorcycle' or, say, 'steering head for 1950 motorcycle' I am now supposed to find out what the official customs number is for springs, hydraulic dampers, steering heads etc, all still for 1950 motorcycles. And yes, I have gone to the trouble of getting the official documentation containing the classifications, and no, I still cannot find parts like those mentioned. What numbers do you use?

HRD SUPER 90

Active Forum User
VOC Member
As there isn’t a customs classification specifically for parts for 1950s motorcycles I have been using the HS Tariff code for “motorcycle parts other”which is 87 14 10 90 90 and I have my EORI Number printed on some small labels Which I attach next to the customs form. No problems that I’m aware of to date. The postal delays were already happening before the Brexit transition period ended and parcels have been getting through with the above information. Hope this helps,
Andy Davenport
Vincent Parts Supplier

vibrac

VOC Member
Extra costs asked by carriers to cover the new paper workload they now have can't be attributed to the virus Colin. A friend just paid about 17€ for 20£ worth of parts plus custom charges!
Thanks to Brexit I'm afraid many suppliers of British bikes parts will see their incomes reduced as many will find cheaper and faster to buy from companies based in Europe.
Was the 17 euros including your countries VAT?
And then there is the cost of waiting for two days at Dover till France allowed the lorries in because of the new varient covid

ericg

VOC Member
17 € are on top of French VAT. DHL charged this because of extra paper work.
Of course Tim the delays are due to France and the Covid, not the Brexit!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Next time ask when you want some spares, there is no doubt some one traveling back and fourth, or the Austrian Vincent parts supplier, not tax from that direction, not even if you buy a Brough from them.