Brexit and spares?

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I have 8 old British bikes, spares and tools are often required from the UK. This year it seems to be a lot of extra costs and hassle to get them into the EU.
Not any immediate problem as the Comet works well. But how will the Spares company handle future needs from us foreigners?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Maybe the US doesn't levy duty on such things, but in 40+ years of buying spares from the UK, I've never paid any duty. Could the EU customs be acting "extra-strictly"?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As I have 8 old British bikes, spares and tools are often required from the UK. This year it seems to be a lot of extra costs and hassle to get them into the EU.
Not any immediate problem as the Comet works well. But how will the Spares company handle future needs from us foreigners?
I am experiencing problems in the other direction, I ordered some goods on the 22nd December from a company in Finland, Scandinavian Outdoor, and they have not arrived yet, Scandinavian Outdoor assure me the goods are in the UK and as such it is beyond there control, Parcelforce, that should have taken over the delivery from GLS deny any knowledge of receiving the package, Scandinavian Outdoor blame Brexit and Covid-19, where we go from here I have no idea, but perhaps the shape of things to come, at least I can order my motorcycle from my home country.

Albervin

VOC Member
I think this will be a continuing problem for you. As I read it there will be a VAT discount and then a Euro tax (same amount). I really feel sorry for exporters over there as they have almost no input. Over here in the colonies it same as before. ALL items from UK and EU are exempt VAT and then we pay tax (sometimes) on entry. It has actually been very good for us because the lack of VAT often pays for postage. EXCEPT now some countries, like Austria, are placing a massive Covid tax on air freight. Luckily I have a friend in Austria who can post from Germany which makes for a big saving..

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
It might not all be down to Brexit. The UK postal `service' has been very poor since November, supposedly due to Covid.
We are still receiving Christmas cards and most of our arriving post was sent in December!
Ray

vibrac

VOC Member
The increase in air freight is due the lack of air traffic the post office is way down in employees because of sickness, it is the perfect storm Brexit and its paperwork is a temporary thing but with Covid interuptions what would have taken just weeks to get into the new procedures may well take months

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
For the most part deliveries are happening albeit a bit late. It appears that staff shortage through Covid sickness is causing most of the delays and shortage of air freight capacity as there are few flights is causing cost increases.
I think the boarder delay issues are a combination of Brexit new documentation systems and Covid sickness which hopefully are only short term.
We are coping with the new documentation requirements and are sending parcels out on time but please allow for extra delivery time if possible because of things out of our control.