E: Engine Breather Timing: A long description of a different way (Part 1)

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there Bill, yes they were trying to get it away from the oil. They should have put a large one directly into the crankcase with a baffle something similar to a bevel Ducati. I don't think any of those early designs of bike engine had good breathers, they were all very small. Not able to keep up with all these high speed riders..................;)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes the fast ones in the 60 s/70 s, Had a big pipe coming out the middle of the T/Case, I could not bring myself to do that ! ,But Ron welded a bit of Alloy Bicycle handle bar to the ATD cover, That I used for a long while.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
had someone tried to use the Primary housing for separating the oilmist from air.the System which was used on the late Triumph 750 twins ?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
had someone tried to use the Primary housing for separating the oilmist from air.the System which was used on the late Triumph 750 twins ?
Yes, Stu Spalding has been running his own system that uses the primary to help seperate the oil / mist for years.

oexing

VOC Member
But then how did air from the crankcase get into the primary chain case ?? I´d expect to fill up the primary with engine oil in the long run. After reading all about breathers I still believe the valve caps plus hose with reed type breathers at the end are the best bet, minmal oil mist there to condensate and flow back into the engine. That works perfectly on other bikes so why not ?

Vic

stu spalding

VOC Member
Thanks Simon. A full description of my breather is in MPH 550, Nov '94. It's a very involved job but it works and, by adding the chaincase volume, effectively reduces the compression ratio of the crankcase. The reeds only open a little way on tickover and open even less with a few revs as the engine has less time to suck air in past oil seals etc. No breather pipe is fitted. Cheers, Stu.

erik

VOC Member
@Vic ! on triumphs there are three Little holes for the oil Level in the Primary case and above the bearing there is a Bypass from the crankcase to the Primary case.above the clutch ,inward facing there is only an elbow with a tube to the end of the mudgard. that is all.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

oexing

VOC Member
Seems to be a bit more of a job than a valve cap breather that gets its air from a more remote place in the engine so not the same amount of oil mist to be handled. Also I might like to have ATF oil in the primary case (semi wet Kawa clutch) and not mix it with engine oil from a breather into there.

Vic