Breather Banjo Bolt

paulpackman

Forum User
VOC Member
I agree with Magnetoman. If you think that you have not got the skills get somebody who has to do it.
It can be done successfully and avoids stripping that part of the engine.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For those non UK based readers; you should know that Paul Packman is a very clever engineer with some beautifully thought out mods on his bike and no, I don't drink so am not after a free beer!!

cinquecento

Non-VOC Member
all good points, particularly thinking about breaaking off the tang and possible repercussions if it is not recovered; but dropping the motor forthis job is not justified. I’ll thinink of a temporary b*dge round it ‘til it can be dealt with properly. It can join the others; did I mention the rear number plate fell off, got ran over requiring a ne w bracket, or the regulator that has shredded one of the rubber isolators.

Three wheels on my wagon , but I keep rollin’ along…..

b'knighted

VOC Member
Did you think about Roy's suggestion? This is easily checked by screwing the existing banjo bolt in without the banjo on it. If it does find good thread you will know what increased length of banjo bolt the hole will accomodate. Replacing the A22 short banjo bolt with an A22/1 long banjo bolt with a suitable stack of dowty washers spacing the banjo away from the case may be the easy bodge you're looking for. The thread on the A22/1 may need running longer but this should not risk putting any swarf into the engine.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
When attacking the job of a striped thread, and the decision is made to repair by Heli- Coil you must first determined if the damage can be corrected by that method. The threads when completely gone, often took quite a bit of metal with the threads when the striping took place. It may be necessary to repair by a thread insert. So before buying any thing , make sure what fix is required. The tang is easily removed with long nosed needle nose pliers, get them on the tang , give them a little twist and it breaks quite easily. The insert has no tang. The grease is fluid and wont stop the swarf from finding a home in the large volume area of the two flute Heli- Coil tap, the grease is displaced at the leading edge of the tap, providing lubrication where it counts.You wont be moving that much metal during taping.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Replacing the A22 short banjo bolt with an A22/1 long banjo bolt with a suitable stack of dowty washers spacing the banjo away from the case may be the easy bodge you're looking for.
I don't have any manuals handy to check so it may be obvious to someone who knows that the caution I'm about to write doesn't apply. That caution is, be sure there isn't a cross-drilled hole for oil that a longer banjo bolt might block.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
First we are talking about a air breather, hopefully it isn't a drilled hole for oil. Secondly, the long banjo end should be trimmed 1/8 inch giving a good thread of 3/8 inch , banjo to case. In most cases, the spindle extends slightly into the vertical banjo hole, this would be a stop, preventing blockage. If the banjo bolt hits the stop, trim the end a tad more. Trim until the banjo bolt obtains a snug fit,when tightened.