Misc: Everything Else Brass Headlight Shell

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes those brass Miller headlight shells occasionally appear. I may be wrong, but I think they may be pre 1940.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Yes I have two of them, found my first on a Comet in the seventies, that's nice i thought then in the eighties was doing more traveling in Europe so started looking for a second, eventually getting one from Roger Stretch (West London). Still waiting from Paul Goff for a continental lens so I can dip either way . Using both switches (original four position ones) with LHS side Ammeter and RHS Volt-meter, I like instrumentation as it tells me what is happening as on board a ships engine room. Speedo is clockwise, tachometer A.C.W. with rotating banana on original tacho drive and 6k Jaguar magnetic tacho at 1 : 2 drive coming straight off the Grosset trigger unit. Miller brass Headlamp Shells were made for military M/C's, I like them as they don't need painting and look prettier when polished. like my tank caps, horn & silensers

P1030252.jpg

P1030256.jpg

Chris Marshall

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes those brass Miller headlight shells occasionally appear. I may be wrong, but I think they may be pre 1940.
Hi Simon
You mean series A?
Chrism
Yes I have two of them, found my first on a Comet in the seventies, that's nice i thought then in the eighties was doing more traveling in Europe so started looking for a second, eventually getting one from Roger Stretch (West London). Still waiting from Paul Goff for a continental lens so I can dip either way . Using both switches (original four position ones) with LHS side Ammeter and RHS Volt-meter, I like instrumentation as it tells me what is happening as on board a ships engine room. Speedo is clockwise, tachometer A.C.W. with rotating banana on original tacho drive and 6k Jaguar magnetic tacho at 1 : 2 drive coming straight off the Grosset trigger unit. Miller brass Headlamp Shells were made for military M/C's, I like them as they don't need painting and look prettier when polished. like my tank caps, horn & silensers

View attachment 41480

I like that, it’s amazing what my Dad left for me to find in the garage!

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Simon
You mean series A?
Chrism
Early series A used BTH electrics and the BTH headlight was actually made by Powell & Hanmer. When series A went over to Miller electrics they used the larger 8" unit.
Miller provided a lot of other bike manufacturers including Rudge.